Sign in to follow this  
Bisley

The Epitome of Handloading

I have a 6.5 Grendel that shoots lights out, but with lead free being forced upon us I had a few choices to make. I did not want a pure soft copper bullet from any manufacturer. The two options I was left with we're 120gr bullets from Hornady or Nosler. But I don't care for that weight at the Grendel speeds, especially with a harder gilded metal. So I decided to go all out and take a 120gr bullet and make the weight(s) I want. 

I started with a clevis pin from work. 

2018-06-19_09-10-05

I then put a 7/64 .277 diameter hole in it for the .264 bullet. I drilled it deep enough so that I could use different spacers for different weights.

2018-06-19_09-10-18

I then drop the bullet in and hacksaw it as close as possible.

2018-06-19_09-10-33

After it is cut to length I gently file it smooth.

2018-06-19_09-11-02

Here is the before and after. 

2018-06-19_09-11-292018-06-19_09-11-43

They all came out to less than 1 grain difference and a maximum of 0.003" COAL difference.

2018-06-19_09-12-312018-06-19_09-12-39

The only problem I did have was the bullet spinning when I saw it. Using clamps with plastic tips worked, but was a pain. It also started to deform the tip. I had a revelation and decided to drill and tap two holes so I could gently hold it in place. It worked perfectly! 

2018-06-19_09-11-582018-06-19_09-12-11

I hope to try them this weekend. I am not shooting match with these so if I can get anywhere close to 1MOA I will be absolutely thrilled. It may be a total waste of time, but at least I tried. And if it does work out the self satisfaction will be unimaginable. Never be afraid to try...

50 minutes ago, ShooterJohn said:

Interesting project Bob.:signs1180lq:  I never S--A--W that coming. :roflmao3[1]:

Just be glad he didn't drill a hole in his hand.Right before his trip out here this guy goes and drops a heavy plate on his no no area and cuts his leg ..:lol::D

that should work out just great if you want it even lighter drill it out a little more.

2 hours ago, ShooterJohn said:

Interesting project Bob.:signs1180lq:  I never S--A--W that coming. :roflmao3[1]:

You're punny :roflmao3[1]:

I will lengthen the spacer and make some 90gr bullets if I live through testing these. 

I always seem to get hurt the week before I head out to your place???

Too bad you couldn't cut out a portion of the middle to keep the boat-tail.

Anxiously awaiting the chrono and accuracy report!

I wish I had better news to report :504:. This Saturday was just NOT my day for load testing. I was getting close to finalizing a load with the 22-250. I had a few to retest since it was an ugly crosswind when I tried the other weekend. But none of those promising loads short worth a damn??? I had a single flier on many of the previous loads but kind of chalked it up to wind. Like shooting as the wind stopped or started compare to the other shots. It was like 4 rounds real close and a 5th clear on the other side. But Saturday it was random as Hell. So I gave up and tried the Grendel with the cut down bullets. Very unimpressive. Tried the usual 107gr SMK's it likes and it was shooting just fine. Then it hit me, I had seated them the same COAL as the 120gr GMX because the olgive was unchanged, and that was where it preferred it. What I did do was the same damn powder (not charge weight) as the 120gr GMX :1087::doh[1]:. I do not like CFE 223 powder, but I used it just to try because I had it. It only did well with this bullet for me, the other loads preferred either H335 or XBR8208. What I should have done was try the powder and charge it likes with 107gr SMK's. Sooooo, after the cottontail opener next weekend I will cut down a bunch and play more with powder and COAL. I know I can make it work. And I knew it was going to take a lot of trial and error. That is the price you pay when you want everything and wont settle.

Oh, and as for the 22-250, well, while I was handling it I heard a distinct metal "clink" sound. Turns out I guess I never cinched down the rings good and tight. I didn't use Loc-tite yet because I wasn't sure if I was going to keep those rings or scope on it. So after a sight in, a couple rabbit hunts, a good squirrel hunt, and more dialing in it had just come loose. Finger tight on the rear one and barely snug on the front two mounts. That would surely explain the randomness. I feel like such a newb :blush::blush:. It will get a very good testing again on the 4th of July since I have the day off.

Highlight of the day................. after it got too windy to bench test, I got to take one of my often neglected girls out to play. I made sure the .22lr converted AR shot well enough for cottontail opener for the youngest nephew, as well as got the 22-250 shooting close enough to decapitate a jack. But this was the ultimate high. About 20 yards with a 160 year old (design) pistol with Black Powder and homemade cast round balls and homemade felt wads. I can't begin to tell you how good this felt after fighting with modern technology all day. And I can also confirm to you that those shows where they are point shooting these old guns and hitting everything they aim at is a LIE!!! :lol:

2018-06-24_09-43-58