clampdaddy

Went featureless and loving it!

Installed the Thordsen FRS II on my rifle and I love it. Never could get used to the feel of a pistol grip on a rifle and now it has a more "traditional" feel which I really like. The mil type handguard and front sight look a little odd now though so I ordered an free float handguard and a low profile gas block. Will post pics when I get them installed.

https://imgur.com/TUEg50i

16 hours ago, Shoot-it said:

I dont like that one. It looks too much like a thumbhole. Could have got that one cheaper (they had a blem sale) but I wanted to make it as blatantly featurelss as possible so I don't have to explain to a game warden why my gun is legal. That is also why I put a regular thread protector on the muzzle instead of a comp or muzzlebrake. 

That's ugly as sin Matt :signs165xk:.mine is featureless to I run a fin on the grip and a thread protector also.Will probably change to the jt kill switch.

You made your opinion clear the first time Johnny. No need to be a dick about it.  I like to be able to grip my rifle like a real gun so fins are out for me. And those fin things aren't going to win you any beauty contests either.

Anyways, got my new handguard and gas block put on yesterday.

kQLwcVa.jpg

2 hours ago, ShooterJohn said:

That looks good Matt.  It's California that has changed the beauty contest rules.:signs1180lq:

That is not entirely true John. They have TRIED to change them. With the right part there is no need for eyesores unless wanted ;). All these (plus a few others :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:) will still be 100% legal well after July :good:. And still shoot every bit as good. Man it was nice to have a couple Saturdays off finally!

2018-04-08_09-10-572018-04-29_10-10-412018-04-29_10-12-15

Different strokes. All AR's are ugly as far as I'm concerned and to me, functionally, a regular removable mag is a more valuable "feature" than the pistol grip, folding stock and muzzlebrake combined. I've never had a jam but if I ever do its comforting to know that I can drop my mag to quickly clear it.  I had considered going with a fixed mag and almost went with the AR Compmag because with it you can drop the ammo away from the action to clear a jam but it's as long or longer than a 30 round mag and I like the little shorty 10 rounders when shooting off the bench or over the hood of my truck.

But I do plan on buying some form of fixed mag too. For coyote hunting a fixed mag would be perfectly fine, and I figure that any axtra steps that a guy can take to show a warden or LEO that he's gone above and beyond could save some hassles.

If pistol grips are ugly to you just get the scr lower.I wasn't trying to be a dick didn't realize you were so sensitive over your Ar..

Not sure if you see them but the butt stock is the same as a standard rifle and  lower is different.the bolt works the same as a gas shotgun.

https://fightlite.com/collections/scr-lower-receiver-assembly-kits

It doesnt have as much to do with being sensitive as it does with mutual respect, Johnny. I don't like fin grips but I'm not going to just blurt out something like "Hey Johnny, you can't even grip your gun properly AND you made it ugly with that stupid fin grip".  But that's just me I guess.

As for the SCR, I looked at those and that would have been my very first choice but I heard a lot of bad things about the factory triggers and there are no replacement triggers for them.

You really need to learn the facts before making certain statements. This kind of misinformation is how so many rumors and falsehoods get spread. No wonder nobody can figure it out, with all the misinformation.

11 hours ago, clampdaddy said:

Different strokes. All AR's are ugly as far as I'm concerned and to me, functionally, a regular removable mag is a more valuable "feature" than the pistol grip, folding stock and muzzlebrake combined.

Flash hiders, NOT muzzle brakes are a "feature". Brakes have NEVER, EVER been considered a "feature". The common A2 "bird cage", flash suppressors, and flash hiders are all "features. Muzzle brakes and compensators are, and always have been 100% legal.

Some say it's splitting hairs, but it really is no different than saying "AR" stands for Assault Rifle, when it really stands for Armalite Rifle.

You are correct, Bisley. I meant to say flash hider, and said in an earlier post up above that I went with a thread protector instead of a comp or muzzlebrake (which points to the fact that thet are two options that are legal and can be used to replace the flash hider), but I had a brain fart. Still, a flash hider is not a feature that I find to be very useful and I don't want to have to explain the differences between a comp, brake and hider to a warden out in the field. 

On 4/29/2018 at 10:42 PM, clampdaddy said:

Still, a flash hider is not a feature that I find to be very useful and I don't want to have to explain the differences between a comp, brake and hider to a warden out in the field. 

I have yet to see a civilian use for a flash hider as well. Maybe, just maybe on an AR pistol, but even that is iffy.

Oh, in case you haven't, don't forget a dab of Loc-Tite on your thread protector. I use that and just hand thread my brakes and thread protectors on. It keeps any unwanted pressure points in the barrel ;). I do that for all, bolt and autos.

On 4/29/2018 at 10:42 PM, clampdaddy said:

You are correct, Bisley. I meant to say flash hider, and said in an earlier post up above that I went with a thread protector instead of a comp or muzzlebrake (which points to the fact that thet are two options that are legal and can be used to replace the flash hider), but I had a brain fart. Still, a flash hider is not a feature that I find to be very useful and I don't want to have to explain the differences between a comp, brake and hider to a warden out in the field. 

I have a real nice break you can have Matt it will take all recoil out of the Ar but its loud asf that's why I took it off..

21 hours ago, Shoot-it said:

I have a real nice break you can have Matt it will take all recoil out of the Ar but its loud asf that's why I took it off..

Thanks Johnny, but yeah the blast is another reason why I didnt go that way. I've never shot a rifle with a brake but I've heard they are pretty loud. You notice any accuracy difference with and without the brake?

On 5/6/2018 at 10:55 AM, Bisley said:

I have yet to see a civilian use for a flash hider as well. Maybe, just maybe on an AR pistol, but even that is iffy.

Oh, in case you haven't, don't forget a dab of Loc-Tite on your thread protector. I use that and just hand thread my brakes and thread protectors on. It keeps any unwanted pressure points in the barrel ;). I do that for all, bolt and autos.

Right on. I was kind of wondering if having it just hand tight could cause any irregular harmonics in the barrel. I was thinking of using a thin rubber o-ring to help deaden any but maybe loc-tite would be the better way to go.

,It was explained to me by a couple guys that know much more than I that the theory is that crush washers or heavy tightening can, not always does, but can cause a stress point on the end of the barrel. I will say that it has worked well for me using Loc-Tite.