ehd

Reloading shotgun shells

I just started reloading Heavy shot and tss shot for coyotes. Not much good load data available for both. Thank goodness for Dabob ‘s help . 

I have tweaked a load I got from Ballistic products that was way too hot. I double checked everything with them and it was correct. I backed off the minimum load by 5 grains of powder and it shot very good. Also added a Mylar wrap and removed a couple #2 bbs to even out the shot card. Also changed brands of buffer to presision spherical. Now the load shoots real tight and even. 

five grains sounds like a lot Eric, using blue dot? tapered cases make a big difference as well as fed primers

have fun stephen

5 grains is a lot. Using longshot powder. That amount put it more in line with hogedons site recommended loads. 

Ballistic products has had a history of hot loads.  They have also had some errors in their data.  It is one of the reasons they keep tweaking there reloading manual.  It is also my understanding that Alliant Steel powder has varied between lots quite a bit.

Not to spend any more of your money but if you like to have the best looking most consistent reloads look at the GAEP fold crimp roller.

You can use just the tool head in a drill press and you can use the pre crimp star that they make in a MEC reloader.  It is very expensive to ship those two small tools from Italy for some reason (I think it cost me about $35.00 for the shipping) but I am glad that I got them.  It makes my 3-1/2"  waterfowl re-loads look just like factory loads.

I do most of the work with the MEC and the GAEP crimp starter.  I close the crimp a little further with the final crimp station on the MEC but do not pull the handle all the way. I then put the almost finished shell in the reloading block.  When I have 50 or so ready, I go to the drill press and put the factory looking crimp on them.  It is nice not to have to fiddle with the final crimp adjustment in the Mec press.  

I'm not a fan of long shot, loud, recoil, but very low pressures. when you add buff drop another grain. weigh shot charges, lead Vere's a lot and copper drops very light and I have no clue as to what you are using

have fun stephen

My latest goal would be to load a 13 gr. Oz tungsten shot in a 2 oz load.