Sign in to follow this  
microtus

22mag

Figured I might as well put it in the right forum.  My Ruger American Target in 22 mag is now in jail for the next 10 days.  After a lot of on line reviews I finally settled on the Ruger but still had to  handle one in person to commit.  Sportsmans Warehouse in Fairfield had 1 in stock and after a quick fondle;  "sold".  It feels nothing like a 10/22, shoulders very well and has just enough heft with good weight distribution.  Dark bluing with a black laminate stock, better looking than any gun I own.  I've got an extra Hawke scope just waiting for it.

They also had a Marlin guide gun in 45-70 on the rack.  I've always been intrigued by them but have heard horror stories of the new Remlins.  I have no real need for a 45-70 but if I had the money I would have bought that as well.  That gun, as little as it is, fit me like a glove.  I could close my eyes, shoulder it and open my eyes, perfect.  I'd never put a scope on that thing, the ghost rings were awesome.  Finish on this one seemed flawless.  So much want.

Congrats on the new kid. Please be sure and let us know how it shoots :popcorn:

I have yet to hold a Guide Gun. Mostly out of fear I would fall in love. I had my (still call it my dad's) .45-70 Cowboy model out today. With a 26" octagon barrel it is nowhere near as handy, but man is it smooooth and fun :D. You can load 300-500gr bullets that thump, but recoil like a .38/.357 all the way up to strap it in a lead sled with wire cables. I grabbed the wrong box of ammo today and was reminded why I once told a guy at the range his lever .454 Casull was "a cute little fun :751:

You should go over it thoroughly, and if it looks good, do yourself a favor and get it. You don't regret it. One of the things to look for are mag tubes that don't have extra dovetails in them, or barrels that have two dovetails with a blank in the one that shouldn't be there. And you are dead on about sights. I have a Skinner Express on mine now.

Well, with my back, I can barely pick the thing up but it's ready to sight in.  3x9 Hawke.  I don't really care for the rings/mount but I'll run with it for the cost (laying around the garage forever)

22mag

I love a 22 mag. I rebarreled a  ruger 77-17 to a 22 magnum. Seriously will light matches at 50 yards. I killed quite a few coyotes with it. That v max in 22 mag is serious coyote medicine. ( I tried all other bullet types.) the 77-17 didn’t work for coyotes, they would usually run off . Yours looks like a dandy. 

Well, failure to extract fired cases seems to be fairly common with this rifle.  Mine is no exception.  I contacted Ruger this morning and a new extractor is being mailed my way.  

The extractor on my gun looks really tweaked.  I never paid attention to it earlier so I don't know if it came like it is or something else I did caused it.  It does extract spent cases, but the failure rate is really high.  When it fails to extract, open the bolt, drop the mag and just use a fingernail to pop the case out.  It's easy peasy but not right.  

I'm finding that the extended mag release tends to get bumped enough to partially drop the mag.  I would much rather prefer a recessed button like a standard 10/22.  Time will tell if I learn how to carry/handle the rifle without doing it.

Some online have shown dislike in the bolt being able to open while the rifle safety is on.  So far I have had no issues with accidently operating the bolt while carrying the rifle, again, time will tell.

With the bull barrel it is kind of a heavy little rascal.  The short length seems to make it feel heavier than it really is.  I do like the weight and balance though.  I def  need a sling.

Everything else aside, it shoots better than I do, no complaints.  Surprising thing about the 22mag, it's pretty darn quiet.  I'm not worried about ear protection while shooting it.  My 10/22's seem a lot louder.