Sign in to follow this  
Fjold

Took Mom fishing at Goleta pier

I drove down to Lompoc and took Mom fishing on Saturday off the pier at Goleta park.  We had a slow day, three brown kelp rockfish and one good calico 14+ inches that we released.  We were bait fishing using cured mackerel that we caught in the spring.  There were a few small smelt caught during the morning but mostly the small brown kelp rockfish, off the west side of the pier in the kelp over the outfall pipe. The guys fishing the shore for halibut, perch and corbina looked like they were getting skunked, we saw nothing coming over the rail down there all morning.

Mom's 87 this year and still loves to get out fishing. My brother and his youngest son came down from San Jose and took her fishing on Tuesday and I have to be down in Lompoc again next week so I'll take her out again Saturday.   I've been home for 16 days in the last 5 weeks but it's payback time for Mom.

CurTZc1.jpg

Grew up sorta in Lompoc.  Went to high school there anyways. Remember days fishing off the pier in both Gaviota and Goleta.

Just had to say it brought back some fond memories.And good for your mom.Best enjoy her while she is still with you.Those memories are lasting.

That was very good of you. Besides her surely enjoying it as well, you will never look back and say "I wish we had never done so much together", quite the opposite -_-.

I was there in 1967, well, that was the year we moved up to Longview, Washington. We lived up in Mission Hills and Dad was working Vandenburg. The coyote and bobcats were pretty easy pickings back then and I called my first mtn lion there also. Went back there many, many years later and the place didn't really look like it changed a whole lot. Some very good memories from that place growing up.

14 hours ago, NVWalt said:

I was there in 1967, well, that was the year we moved up to Longview, Washington. We lived up in Mission Hills and Dad was working Vandenburg. The coyote and bobcats were pretty easy pickings back then and I called my first mtn lion there also. Went back there many, many years later and the place didn't really look like it changed a whole lot. Some very good memories from that place growing up.

Cool Walt, there a "Growing up in Lompoc in the 60's, 70's and 80's" Facebook page, if you use Facebook .  There might be some people that you know there.

Took Mom fishing again this morning, she was dressed and ready to go at 5:30 AM.  We left Lompoc at 6:00 and got to Goleta pier by 0700.  We caught 5 short calico and a dozen or more small brown kelp bass until about 9:30 when the bite turned off.  I got one more brown kelp bass about 10:30 but that was it for the morning. 

We left about Noon but the guys on the end of the pier were catching anchovies and mackerel pretty steadily on small hooks and baited sabiki rigs.

I'm going back this weekend and taking Mom fishing again.  It gives my sister a break who does all the daily care for Mom.