Sign in to follow this  
microtus

which rimfire and...

As mentioned in other threads, I'm moving to Michigan next summer.  Being retired and all I'm trying my best to prevent boredom.  They allow night hunting for coyotes with rimfire cartridges only.  Hunting at night should put me in close for shots.  With that in mind, which rimfire would you guys suggest?  .22mag, 17wsm, something else?  I've got 2 10/22's but there a wee bit small.

and....any suggestions for a cheaper caller?  I used a home made caller ala Varmint AL for a few years but never really cared for its output.  I might as well spring for a caller to go with a gun.  Deadbone, inferno wont break the bank but not sure on output.

Searching keeps leading back to the 22 mag.  Swinging by the local gun shop this afternoon for a peek at what's in stock.

I have killed a lot with a 22 mag. Not so much luck with the 17 . 

I swung by three different places after work today but only found one 22mag, a Ruger American Compact.  There were lots n lots of 17's to choose from but I'll stick to the 22.  I'm trying not to have one ordered but may end up going that route.  Dixon has a gun show the weekend after next, with low expectations I shouldn't be too disappointed.  I prefer a heavier contour barrel (just me) and want a bolt with a flush mag.  It doesn't leave a lot of options but preferences can change.

21 minutes ago, microtus said:

I prefer a heavier contour barrel (just me) and want a bolt with a flush mag.  It doesn't leave a lot of options but preferences can change.

That's exactly why I bought my used Marlin 783. When I saw it on the wall I asked the man if it was .22lr or .22mag? When he said mag, I said sold. He laughed and asked if I wanted to look at it. I said sure, but start the paperwork, it is exactly what I was looking for. It was a bolt gun, it was a .22mag, and it was tube fed which meant it had a flush bottom. I have always been nothing but happy I went that route. Protruding mags are a nuisance to me. 

I also think you are making the better choice with a .22mag. over the .17WSM. Especially when you start looking for ammo and ammo options.

Mine was a ruger 77 17 that I bought a green river fluted 22 mag barrel and put on it. It will light matches out at 50 yards. 

7 hours ago, Shoot-it said:

I would rather hace a mag over a tube fed so much easier to unload .

But such a PITA to rest on. A flush mag is fine, but a protruding mag, can't deal with it. I would rather have the inconvenience while loading/unloading than to have it while trying to rest on a rock, stump, or side of a truck bed. 

22 minutes ago, Bisley said:

But such a PITA to rest on. A flush mag is fine, but a protruding mag, can't deal with it. I would rather have the inconvenience while loading/unloading than to have it while trying to rest on a rock, stump, or side of a truck bed. 

You can't rest on the side of a vehicle in California.:oops:

NO go-e go-e in Michigan as well :P

Looks like I'm going to try and find a Ruger American Target.  My gun fund did take a hit today though, picked up a 1967 Oakland Raiders team autographed football that I'll need to resell. 

With short 10 round mags. Even if we didn't have mag limits I would only use 10 round mags. I wish they made a 5 round that sat up in the mag well. 

I like the 10/22 rotary mags, nice capacity and flush sitting. Always wanted a 10/22mag or 77/22mag. I think a few manufacturers are starting to make more flush sitting mags for bolt actions these days.