Sign in to follow this  
seebass

New coyote rifle

10 hours ago, seebass said:

I didn’t know Bergers made lead free bullets? 

They don’t. 😉

Beautiful stock. You should pillar bed it and free float the barrel. It might tighten your grouping.

I loaded up some of the Barnes 80g TTSX’s with 42g of R-19 to 2.61” along with some 80g GMX’s also with 42g of R-19 tonight.  Im going to shoot them in the morning to see if they group any better than what Im getting now with my current load. 

Carlos 

I been threw all that before its a pain in the butt the gmx seems to be picky to get them to group the barnes is a little easier I have found.

If you ever go back to your 223 and shoot the ntx use 1.80 coal that's the ticked for those.

I found the TTSX’s were running 1.5-2” on average so I decided to try something different.  

My buddy swears by them, so I loaded up some 92g Cavity Back MKZ’s.  I used some R-19 and did a little testing last week.  

Nothing crazy... I couldnt find any info on the bullet so I contacted CCB.  They said a safe start is 42-43g up to 46. So just to be safe I loaded up 41,42 and 43 grains all at 2.71”.  They got tighter with more powder. Currently 3 shots with 43g is at .95”.  These bullets are LONG but I know I can get them dialed in nice and tight.  

My first 2 shots were right on top of each other. I couldnt see seperation until I walked to the target and looked close.  The 3rd was the entire spread! 

I FINALLY feel confident with a lead free bullet out of this .243!  

2 hours ago, Shoot-it said:

If you ever go back to your 223 and shoot the ntx use 1.80 coal that's the ticked for those.

That's 2.180 knucklehead, NOT 1.80!!!  :harhar1[1]:

And start with a full case of H4895 ;)

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would give a little recent findings. I took a chance on a $130 Andersen .243 barrel for my AR. It's a 20" 1-8 twist barrel. I had no luck with the 55gr Nosler LFBT bullets as well and was hoping for better luck with this one. I used the Hodgdon reloading data before but decided to use the Nosler data this time since they do make it after all. There was about a 3-4 grain difference in data, with Nosler being the hotter load. Turns out they really do know what they were talking about. I still had to play a little with seating depth, but the results were spectacular! You may want to give it another look. You should hear these things whack both the cardboard and the bushes behind it. Can't wait to see what these inflict.

2018-11-04_09-18-16

2018-11-04_09-17-00

2018-11-04_09-43-20