Sign in to follow this  
microtus

new rod

I finally landed a couple of fish on my new ultra-light fly rod.  I picked up a custom 5'8" zero weight fly rod a couple of months ago but haven't had a chance to really use it until this morning.  I spent a couple hours at Putah creek below Lake Berryessa for a total of 3 to hand.  I thoroughly enjoyed that little rod.

Looks like a beautiful time! I'm trying to remember, that is short for a fly rod isn't it? I thought I always remember seeing them a mile ling?

Yeah it's kind of a specialty rod that I've wanted ever since the Orvis 1 weight came out 20 some odd years ago.  All of my other fly rods are 9 feet or better with a lot more backbone.  This fish bent the rod all the way down into the cork handle.  😁

I understand now, my father was as avid a fisherman as he was a Hunter and he would do the same thing, use ultralight tackle. He would have fished with a wet noodle if he could :lol:. Certainly looks like you know how to use it, and are having fun doing it :good:.

The recent fires had no impact on the creek.  The fires the last 2 years are all but a remnant.  I've been fishing Putah for about 40 years.  Yes, there are some huge trout in Putah.  They are coming up on the spawning season real quick, then it's more about letting them do their thing without getting harassed.

Ohh. I thought the current fires hit south of berryessa. I may have my internal map all wrong. I haven't gotten into fly fishing yet. I'm trying to keep my current hobby's at a minimum due to costs lol.

Good luck with the "minimal" cost hobbies. LOL

2 hours ago, NVWalt said:

Good luck with the "minimal" cost hobbies. LOL

Yeah, as long as the bills are paid my fiancé doesn't need to know how much I spend! Haha