Zeke588

.17 hmr

So I picked up a .17 hmr. Got it sighted it at 25 yds no problem. Using cci TNT greentip. Today I took it out again and attempted 75 yds. I know I'm holding steady but I feel like the loads are throwing the shot off.. I was able to get a good amount consistant but every once in a while I would get 2-3 shots that were way off target, By at least 2 inches. Has anyone shooting this round experienced the same? I only shot around 25 rounds with about 5-6 being way of target.

I've found the Hornady 17 grain to be the best in my Savage and Ruger.   Groups may also improve with a couple hundred rounds through the barrel.  I've sighted in at 100 yards and do not notice flyers like you describe.  I get some but not that bad. 

The 17hmr is my favorite round.

I would start with the basics. Is you scope good? Is it securely mounted?  I have had scope mount screws back out and become loose. This does nothing for you accuracy.  Is the action screw secure?  Did you use a torque wrench to secure it? Is the stock touching the barrel?  If so, the barrel heat could be causing problems.

If you are unsure of the scope, put another one on it and try it out.  I am a big believer in quality scopes. It hurts to spend more on a scope than the gun, but that is what makes them (usually) accurate.

2-3 inches at 75 yards is a considerable drift.

Keep working at it. The 17hmr is normally a tack driver.

Good Luck

Bill

2 hours ago, superlucky said:

The 17hmr is my favorite round.

I would start with the basics. Is you scope good? Is it securely mounted?  I have had scope mount screws back out and become loose. This does nothing for you accuracy.  Is the action screw secure?  Did you use a torque wrench to secure it? Is the stock touching the barrel?  If so, the barrel heat could be causing problems.

If you are unsure of the scope, put another one on it and try it out.  I am a big believer in quality scopes. It hurts to spend more on a scope than the gun, but that is what makes them (usually) accurate.

2-3 inches at 75 yards is a considerable drift.

Keep working at it. The 17hmr is normally a tack driver.

Good Luck

Bill

On 9/18/2017 at 7:35 AM, HD Rider said:

I've found the Hornady 17 grain to be the best in my Savage and Ruger.   Groups may also improve with a couple hundred rounds through the barrel.  I've sighted in at 100 yards and do not notice flyers like you describe.  I get some but not that bad. 

Superlucky, yeah so far the .17 is my favorite as well. I bought the savage 93r17 combo. It came with a weaver 3x9 scope. As a cheap combo I'm not expecting perfection but I am looking for consistency. HD Rider, I normally shoot the hornady 17 gr V max, and at 75 yards I can hold a tight group consistantly, it's when I switch to the CCI TNT Greentip 16.5 gr. So to my understanding I don't think it's me, or the rifle. I'm pretty set on the type of ammo. I was shooting it to see if there was any variables in the zero of my scope between the two ammos. I also only shot about 25 rounds. So I didn't really get a good ratio of how many shots landed on target vs how many flyers. So could it be I may have just bought a box of ammo with a few bad rounds. I've shot the same ammo before but didn't notice to many shots going adrift.

I got a couple boxes of CCI 17 grain recently and found its point of impact was 2 to 3 inches lower than the Hornady and not as good of a grouping.  I only shot 5 rounds and decides that those two boxes would go to plinking duty with in my 17 hmr revolver.  

I have so little experience with the 17HMR it's not even funny, BUT, I think the less than 100 rounds I put through one MIGHT help some. A friend was having trouble with his 17HMR and gave it to me to play to se if it was him or the rifle. I put an old Nikko Sterling scope that came with my Howa on it just to see what I could do. I started at 25 yards with the V-Max bullet and I can't remember what brand ammo. I was appalled with the fist size group and unpredictability of it at only 25 yards!!! Honest to goodness 2-3" groups shotgun patterns. I then tried some loose CCI rounds with the Speer TNT lead free bullet. One hole groups right from the get go. It did this all the way out to 75 yards, one ragged hole or damn near there abouts, until I lost track at 100 yards. I was in the desert to hunt, not dial in, so I had no spotting scope and such. But I have never seen any rifle have that much discrepancy at 100 yards let alone 25 yards. I had always heard how they definitely tend to prefer specific rounds, and now I certainly believe it. There was no doubt what it liked and didn't like, the one hole vs. shotgun pattern told the whole story. That was my very, very brief experience with it.

Have you tried the Hornady 15.5 ntx?

Was there any wind or even a breeze when you were trying 75 yards? It doesn't take very much to push those little pills a few inches.

On 9/18/2017 at 12:17 PM, ShooterJohn said:

You need to try different ammo even just different lot numbers.  When you find one that shoots well buy as much of that lot number as you can.

This ^^^

They can be very picky about the ammo. Mine really likes the fmj and gamepoint in 20 grain and the 15.5 ntx, everything else is hit or mostly miss.

Flyers are common and to be expected as it is a rimfire and match grade ammo is not available.

Some of them also like to be shot dirty. After a thorough cleaning they can take some shooting before they shoot well again. 20-30 rounds is common for mine then I just use a bore snake.