Sign in to follow this  
Desert Fox

175 Grains Barnes LRX BT

IMG_2123_zpsqrbxhqb9.jpg

Barnes just came out with a non lead bullet specifically designed for long range hunting. I thought I give it a try on my 300 Winchester Magnum Model 70 Laredo LRH that was just rebarreled with Pac-Nor Polygon Super match 10 twist tube. This particular barrel shoots well with my standard load using 180 grain Barnes TTSX so I figured the 175 LRX would shoot just as good. 

Well, the bullet met all my expectation. I used the same powder charge as my 180 grain load comprised of 75 grain IMR 7828, Federal Gold Medal Match Brass and Federal 215 Match Magnum Primer. I was surprised with the number coming out of my Pact Chronograph. It averaged 3250 fps, a whopping 200 fps more than my 180 TTSX load. The BC of the 175 is listed at .508. At 3250 fps, the bullet has an effective range of around 1300 yards according to my ballistic computer. I still have to verify these numbers in the field though. The velocity of my standard 180 grain TTSX load is around 3050 fps. It's accurate enough for long range work but I like this 175 LRX better. I have an upcoming hunt in D-14 with Terry Anderson. I will definitely use the 175 LRX. 

More like energy. I think at 1000 ft/lb, this bullet will still expand but to be safe i will keep it within 1500 ft/lb. which around 700 yards shot with my 300 Win Mag. That's still a long poke.

I figured about the same. Still cutting way short of what lead would do. But things are getting better in the no lead bullets. 

Definitely a big improvement in the accuracy department. This is a match grade bullet with very uniform weight and length. I weigh 10 pieces and it averages 175.12 with 175.36 being the heaviest and 174.98 the lightest. I measured the length of the bullet at the ogive and this is where these bullet shines. Out of ten bullet, 8 measured .699 and two measured .703 and .704 respectively. You can't get any better than that. If you can't get this bullet to shoot tight group on your rifle, then look somewhere else. Definitely the problem is not the bullet😜.

What twist is your rifle. Looks like this will shoot through a factory 10 twist according to their web site. I think I better try a box.

10 twist is perfect for this bullet. Get ready though. Shooting these bullet in 300 Win Mag will bruised your shoulder.

20994053_1669469403087489_39388145982524

Yeah I know LOL. I put a break on my 300. Tamed it down a lot and made it where I could actually enjoy shooting it. I am running a 215 Berger with H-1000 now and really like that load. Hits like lightning when I am hunting where I do not want to track animals. Some of the places I hunt, if an animal makes it even a few yards, they can be a real pain in the but to recover. 

This last Monday a good friend of mine used a 300 Win mag with the Barnes 175 gr LRX BT bullet to drop a very nice 24" wide 4 point buck at 520 yards away.

The buck only moved about 40 yards after being hit. The exit hole looked small but there was a 6" diameter ring of blood shot meat that we could see around the exit hole when we skinned the buck.

It was very impressive to see a guy range the buck at 520 yards and then dial the scope up to 520 yards and then make a perfect shot on the buck.

Great report Bob. I think the LRX will work just like the TTSX. 500 is probably max for this bullet. This will give you enough cushion to make sure the bullet will have enough remaining velocity to expand reliably.

Went to the range this morning to further test the accuracy and consistency of the 175 LRX BT. This new batch was done with outmost of care and attention to detail as usual. The chronograph reading showed single digit SD and ES for 5 shot. The velocity went down bit because the temperature was a lot cooler this morning but other than that the load remain stable and accurate. And yeah, I was ready to take the pounding with my new Past shoulder pad.

37438998491_d2934d62c9_z_zpsrjiw9lsu.jpg

36729391844_d72e5bf2eb_z_zpshxsyofjx.jpg

37181770880_7b3107db0d_z_zpsewfedzmc.jpg