Sign in to follow this  
Braz

New to me rifle

Meeting seller tomorrow for inspection and purchase if it looks as good as I think it will. Suppose to have only had about a box of rounds thru it.  It's a Tikka T3 Hunter in 260 Remington. I'm looking forward to it. With the detachable magazine it will make for a good deer rifle. Since I don't get around too well anymore and usually hunt alone, I am mostly a road hunter. Having the removable magazine will allow me to jump outta the truck and quickly load the rifle.  Trying to push rounds down into the top of the magazine in the rifle sucks.  Lost a chance at a bear trying to do that a few years ago. Does anyone have any comments pro or con regarding the rifle and or the caliber. I'm thinking of getting either a redfield or lumpy for it. Probably something like 4-16x 40.  Whatcha think?

I actually have a few shops around not being used. May use one of them. I have a new in box muller4.5-14x 40. Also a Redfield tracker 3-9x40. And a Pentax 4-12x40.and a Simmons 6-16x40. A bushnell6-18x50 wide angle. A Tasso 6-24x40. All are in good shape. I'm considering using the redfield.  May mount it after picking the rifle up and trying it. If I like it on there may not pop for something else. I know it's a good scope. Had it on another rifle that I sold long ago. Traded scopes before the sale. I have a weak spot for redfield. I'm willing to part with any of the others if someone is interested. Shoot me a reasonable off and I'll pay for shipping. 

Keep thinking of stuff I should have put in original post. I'm also buying dies from the guy. Anyone got suggestions on bullet weights and appropriate loads for this 260? I can always go to the manual but just thought I would toss out the question. I asked the seller but he said he never shot it enough to know. Just one box of factory. I'm yhinking maybe 120 grain for deer and do you think 240 or 160 if I may see a bear?

I've only shot paper with my 260.  Mostly trying the 123 grain SMK and other 120 grain match bullets.  The good thing is that I've made it out to 1,000 yards with many of the loads.

I have a Rem 700 in 260 Rem with a 4 X 12 Leupold scope on it. I really like the 12 power for sighting rifles in. 1" dots don't look very big at 100 yards with my old eyes looking through 9 power scope.

Braz , I reload the Barnes 120 gr TTSX bullets for my 260 Rem. Hornady makes  120 gr Lead Free GMX bullets and Nosler makes a 120 gr E-Tip lead free bullets. Barnes also makes  a 100 gr TTSX bullet. 

Good info thanks. Definately gives me a good place to start. My reloading room isn't set up yet so for a bit it will have to be factory ammo. Darn! Good point on the old eyes tip. Maybe I'll initially mount the muller I have. Probably eventually go with a different scope. Redfield or leupold. 

Dang I'm going to go broke. Just found the same rifle in 300wm. I really want this too. Want to go visit my nephew in Alaska and go moose hunting with him. Would be great fo that. I made the gentleman an offer, so will have to see if he accepts or not. A waiting game now.

I always liked my 300wm.  It beat my shoulder up good.  But it was the best rock smasher when we had our informal rock target shoots at my friend hydraulic mine  where we shot.

Looks like my offer was accepted. He is unavailable for a couple weeks so it will be awhile befor I get it in my hands. But I will have the 260 to keep me company starting on Monday.

You will like that 260. I have one in a mod 7 rem and it has served me well on antelope and mule deer. Easy shooting and works just fine in the 300-500 yard shots on antelope the mule deer are close in shooting but seemed to kill each one it shot. Good round.

I have a t3 light in .270. Love it. The factory butt pad felt good and squishy but didn't absorb shock worth a darn. Put a limb saver on. I swear shooting 150 gr was worse than out of an all wood stock with the factory pad. 

Got it picked up today. Tomorrow is scope mounting and hopefully a trip to the range. Bought a box of 120 grain as that was all they had. I'll try burney sporting goods tomorrow see what they have? With my poor old brain I can not remember much of anything. Do we need lead free?

I picked up a vortex 3-12 got it mounted and got it sighted in. Sure nice to have that removable magazine filled up and in my pocket. If I see something while driving around I can bail out and have rifle loaded and ready to go very quickly.  Noe to just start seeing some deer. May hav gotten a hot tip tonight. A young fellow got his first ever buck today.  Had seen one that got away. But he kept plodding along and this pretty little fork jumped up outta his bed and started trotting away. He made a nice shot and brought it home.  Location is just about a mile or 2 from my cabin here. So you can guess where I'm going home be taking a walk. Going to be next week after my brother gets here and goes with me.  I don't walk too well anymore and stumble too much when brush is heavy and it has bed. Logged. Exactly this location.  Want someone with me for safety! I'm just a wimp I guess. Oh yea tomorrow Friday I go to Redding to meet the seller of the tikka super lite in 300wm. Excited about that one too. 

On Saturday I shot a nice 3 point buck at just over 200 yards away with my Rem 260 shooting Barnes TTSX 120 gr bullets. The buck only went about 20 to 30 yards down hill after it was shot.

Now if I can just put mine to the sane test I will be tickled!

Got the vortex 3-22 scope mounted. Got it sighted in. Three rounds inside a four bit piece. Just off a front sand bag. I'm pleased.  Sure makes it easier when seeing a deer to jump from the truck and load and be ready. Haven't seen anything but does and one spike. Could not put a fork on him. 

Still looking for him. He was back today but I wasn't home. He was playing with my free standing hammock. It has been turned over. Not just the hammock but even the stand. Wish I had been here. Maybe he will be back tomorrow. 

Be careful where you drop that jar of honey.LOL.I can't believe I just posted that. Bad me.