Sign in to follow this  
Dutchman

Load data for 90 grain e-tip in 243

I finally have dialed in on an accurate load for my sons' Ruger American in 243.  22" barral 1:9 twist.

These bullets do not look like the original e-tips I tried out a few years ago, as these have what looks like a crimp groove, but it's seated way out in front of where a 243 neck would have to crimp (that is if you crimped a 243.  I seated .005 off the lands.  For this rifle with this bullet is at a COAL of 2.695"  Off of sandbags at 100 yards it's holding about 0.4" groups.  For grins and giggles I stretched out this load out to 750 and 900 yards to see if the ballistic software would be accurate for elevation and weather conditions.  The ballistic coefficient of .403 seemed to allow the software to predict the trajectory pretty accurately...accurately enough for gong hunting at the range.

I tested up from a minimum load of 39.5 grains of IMR 4831 up to 43 grains, and settled on 42.5 grains with a MV of 3115 ft/sec average with a 10 shot extreme spread of 25 ft/sec.  43 grains averaged about the same but the spread opened up to about 70 ft/sec spread (although no describable pressure signs I decided to back off a bit so as to get a more consistent velocity)  SAA brass with Remington Lg rifle primers

As a bonus, this round hits damn near nuts on with my 87 grain v-max load that has about the same muzzle velocity.  My son and I were both hitting the 750 yard gong with both loads pretty consistently.  We have found our lead free deer load in this caliber.  Hope this helps anyone looking for a lead free load other than Barnes.

Thanks. I will be looking for a load for a 6mm pretty quick. I hate the fact that we have to switch over to the no lead stuff. I have been using the same loads for a long time and know what they do. Personally  I like the lead and the way it performs. Have not had a whole bunch of experience with the no lead stuff yet, and the experiences I have had are all bad. Hope they and we get it figured out, or I predict a bunch of wounded deer dying with no tag on them. I would like to see pictures of wound channels and of where the deer was hit and at what angle. I would also like to know what your thoughts are after hunting successfully with it. Thank you for the post and time. Hope you do well hunting this year. It may make me think different of the no lead bullets.

2 hours ago, Bennie said:

Thanks. I will be looking for a load for a 6mm pretty quick. I hate the fact that we have to switch over to the no lead stuff. I have been using the same loads for a long time and know what they do. Personally  I like the lead and the way it performs. Have not had a whole bunch of experience with the no lead stuff yet, and the experiences I have had are all bad. Hope they and we get it figured out, or I predict a bunch of wounded deer dying with no tag on them. I would like to see pictures of wound channels and of where the deer was hit and at what angle. I would also like to know what your thoughts are after hunting successfully with it. Thank you for the post and time. Hope you do well hunting this year. It may make me think different of the no lead bullets.

The bear I got last September was with 30-30 barnes.  I thought the massive cavity would have facilitated more expansion than I got.  Broadside double lung and clipped the aorta... animal still went a quarter mile.  Exit wound was a bit smaller than a dime.

These lead free bullets seem to need a lot of velocity to expand.  Also, these e tips need a 9" twist or faster to stabilize. I'd like to see more manufacturers offer faster twist rates.

A guy I hunt with a lot and kills a lot of deer shot one last year with a barns in 30-06 twice. One shot broke the off side shoulder thankfully. Ended up tracking the deer and cutting its throat. I have also tried to take some larger small game with non lead. I have hounds. That has been a complete mess. The non lead in a 22 LR just does not kill like the old lead shells do.