Zeke588

New rifle

15 posts in this topic

Just bought myself a savage .17hmr yesterday. 1 day down. I went to buy but I forgot that my address on my ID is not my actual address. And I forgot my fire arms safety card.. so I had to buy my hunting license and they used it as my exemption for fire arm safety card and it's also proof of address! Haha isn't that awesome. 

17hmr ammo is cheap now, I saw midsouth has it on sale for less than $10 a box, grab some and grab some lead free too, you're going to need it pretty soon.

Oh congratulations on your new rifle

Zeke when you get the new rifle and test it out please give us a field report. I have a Savage 93r17-17hmr and love it, only my 17 HH has more squirrel kills than the 93.

Stock up on ammo now it's only 7 more month till they'll be up running around again!

Joe

Best gun/ammo ever!

Bill

Thanks guys! I'm pretty stoked. One of my buddy's had the a17 and he says he loves it.. I don't have any rifles in the long range category other than a 30-30 with iron sights. So this long range talk is new to me haha.

2 hours ago, Zeke588 said:

I don't have any rifles in the long range category other than a 30-30 with iron sights. So this long range talk is new to me haha.

Do you reload?

20 hours ago, Bisley said:

Do you reload?

30-30? No I don't but I think I have brass laying around somewhere. Not much though but willing to send your way. Not planning on getting into reloading anytime soon. My cousin and I were going to buy a press together a few christmas's ago. But he passed away last October so it's kinda hard to muster up and do it myself ya know? But I do plan on trying it out.

I understand, sorry to hear :504:. You should give it a thought though. Especially for the .30-30, it is extremely easy. Just something to think about.

The reason I asked though is because if you did you owe it to yourself to try 100gr or 110gr bullets in the .30-30. They are like laser beams. Totally usable even with open sights out to 17HMR ranges. And no recoil! Something to consider if you ever start reloading. I'm addicted to them :lol:

15 hours ago, Bisley said:

The reason I asked though is because if you did you owe it to yourself to try 100gr or 110gr bullets in the .30-30. They are like laser beams. Totally usable even with open sights out to 17HMR ranges. And no recoil! Something to consider if you ever start reloading. I'm addicted to them :lol:

Hmm never thought of a light bullet with 3030 powder haha.. right now I don't have the space for a press. Maybe you should send a few rounds my way!? 😉 Haha 

If I could ship them without 3 trees worth of paperwork and a thousand dollars, or sneak them in the mail without be considered a terrorist, they would gladly be on their way already :closedeyes:. I just looked up where you are, damn you're way up North. If you were half that far I would've made a weekend of it and dropped them off. Bummer, I know you would love them. 

Bob,

which brand bullet do you recommend in these light weights?  Can you share load info too?  I haven't loaded any 30-30 yet but have been saving the brass as I shoot it.  Would like to try it out sometime in the future.

Absolutely :good:. I'll put it up here later this evening. Since you already reload all you need is the cheap 3 die Lee set with the Factory Crimp Die. They work perfectly for this and all reloading needs for the .30-30.

Okay, as promised. Hope I didn't hijack this thread to much? :smiley-sorry:

I use three "lightweight" bullets in the .30-30. The lightest is the 100gr SJ (Short Jacket) Hornady bullet. I do believe Speer makes one as well called the "Plinker". it is actually made for the .30 Carbine. It is devastating in the Carbine so you can imagine what it dies in the .30-30! You load it right up to where the lead and copper merge. Here it is next to the 100gr Nosler Varmageddon bullet I use also.

2017-07-19_08-34-402017-07-19_08-34-512017-07-19_08-35-04

The other two I use are both 100gr bullets, the Nosler Varmageddon and the Hornady V-Max. All my V-Max are loaded so I am not able to take any pictures of it, sorry. But I do have a picture of it loaded along with some pics of the Varmageddon.

2017-07-19_08-35-13

2017-07-19_08-34-302017-07-19_08-56-262017-07-19_08-35-49

And now for the lowdown. I use 34.5gr of IMR 3031 with the 100gr Short Jackets. Started with it because I had lots of it and it worked well. I have found that these bullets aren't really that picky about powder so I'm sure any powder in the book would be fine. The COAL I use is the book listed 2.435". The real big advantage to this round is that it is short enough to cycle in the action, PLUS, being rounded and of soft lead, it can be loaded into the tube fed mag until filled :yahoo:

The 110gr Varmageddon as you can see are loaded to a length of 2.630". I don't remember where that number came from, but it works, and is safe!!! The 110gr rounds are listed under the "T/C Encore" section of the Hornady manual because they are pointed and not supposed to be loaded into a tube fed mag. They are however short enough that they will cycle in the action, sooooooo, you put one in the chamber and one in the tube. That is safe and turns your levergun into a two shot rifle. The ones I have loaded are with 39gr of BLC-2. It is slightly over max in the Hornady manual, but right at max on the Hodgdon website. You could substitute the 25gr of H 4198 I use for the V-Max as well. It too is right at max on the Hodgdon website. Loads for the .30-30 have to be "lawyerized" because there are so many old rifles around that were designed to shoot black powder only. Modern leverguns are much, much stronger, so I tend to load near max published loads because I know the entire history and age of my rifle.

The 110gr V-Max is loaded to the book length of 2.66". It is too long to cycle in the action so it is a single shot only unfortunately. DO NOT try to cycle one from the the tube mag!!! Don't ask me how I know :blush::1087::doh[1]:. I suppose you could cut the plastic tip off, but that kind of defeats the purpose. This is why I have gone to almost exclusively the Varmageddon and the Short Jackets.

Lastly, here are all three loaded rounds together, as well as the two pages from the Hornady manual. I will be picking up The newest Hornady manual very soon. It has the new 110gr and 125gr GMX in .308 in that manual. I want to try them in the .308Win, .30-30Win, and 7.62x39.

2017-07-19_08-36-042017-07-19_09-05-382017-07-19_08-36-12

Thanks Bob, that short jacket bullet looks very interesting.  Is the tip too pointed to load a few into the tube mag?  From the pic thr tip doesn't look much different from the tip on the factory round nose soft points I have been shooting for years.   On second thought, Maybe it is a little narrower at the tip.

I had a full page write up with a million reasons it would be okay to use them in a tube fed mag but the best reason I could tell you is that the ultra, ultra conservative lawyers at Hornady would not come close to letting them put them in the (repeating) rifle section if there was a one in a billion chance of them being unsafe. They would have put them with the Spire Points in the "T/C Encore" section ;)