Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desert Fox

AR 500 Steel Target

12 posts in this topic

My wife bought me my first AR500 Steel target at a Gun Show in Nevada. It  is a 12 inch gong with a 5 inch cut-out.  Tried it last night at the 500 meter range at West End with my shooting buddy. I was worried that his 7MM Remington Magnum might damage the gong. But the worry was unfounded. The gong took it like a champ.

Anyway, we set it at 500 meters, lighted by a flood light powered by my cheapo Chicom generator  Halfway thru, the generator quit working. We continued shooting using my friend LED flashlight. We didn't got out of the range until 9:30 PM. The 6.5-47 Lapua still shoots really well. My first two shot landed outside of the 5 inch center hole. After slight aim adjustment, I was able to place 3 shot at the center. My buddy 7MM RM, and 308 shoots extremely well also. His 7 made a 2 inch, 3 shot group slightly right on 5 inch opening. He tried his 308 and all shot connected but landed outside of the center. Man I was so tired by the time I put things away. Almost didn't make it to work this morning. 

17155801_1488697267831371_81468888409415

Those types of targets are fun.  That steel can take allot of abuse and live to tell the tale.  I've sheared bolt heads off with the bullet splatter.

Desert Fox likes this

Those targets are really fun.  Especially when shooting with buddies LOL

I thought you're out of town.

I will try with 338 Lapua next time and see how it does. The guy who sold it told me that it will take the 338 round at 500 yards.

This is what my 338 does to a 3/4" mild steel at 500 yards.

Target023.jpg

Ive still got a set of sillywet targets from years ago and they are still a ball to blast. The rams are a bit "work" hardened and have some chips on the edge and are warped from umpteen thousands of rounds hitting them .3/8 inch but the turkeys3/8 and the pigs and chickens,1/2 are still in great shape and this really is after untold thousands of rounds over the course of many years. Love reactive targets. I think that was one reason sillywet shooting was so popular in the 80's.Both rifle and pistol....Walt

I have a one foot square piece of AR500 that is 1.5" thick. I need to make a stand for it. It is quite heavy. I did shoot it at 100 yards on an inclined bank set up in the dirt.

30-06 barely knocked off the rust.

50bmg AP went about 1/2 the way thru but also moved it about 3 feet up the bank and it is a heavy piece of steel.

Got it painted and ready for the next shooting session.

IMG_1388_zpsvtpdsysa.jpg

5 hours ago, ShooterJohn said:

That looks good Rommel.:good:

Almost too pretty to shoot John.