Jump to content
Bisley

Bust Out The Cigars

Recommended Posts

According to e-mails the storks are flying and should have my new baby girl there when I get home :yahoo:. I'm gonna be a daddy again. Some assembly required, but that won't take long at all. I think I need to get "snipped", these kids are getting expensive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cant wait to see it.  I'm gonna take my newest out in about an hour for her first firing.  This is the one Bob provided much help on its conception.  Oh, that doesn't sound right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ShooterJohn said:

Congrats dad! :good:

OK, now that it's official, thanks John :D

It is a Black Hole Weaponry 5.56 with a 16" bull barrel. I wanted a short, thick barrel because it will have next to no harmonics. This should allow a multitude of loads to hit near the same POI (in theory), and hopefully in one ragged hole. I also like my guns to be barrel heavy. It is much easier for me to steady offhand, and at 16", it is still very, very manageable to carry ;).

Changing things up quite a bit. I put my new Bushnell 4.5-14 on the WOA. Since I have this scope seated way low, I don't need the stock with the cheek pad, so the WOA has a new look with the collapsible stock. 

2017-01-30_05-21-29

 

I now have the new girl on the Luth-Ar stock, along with the Vortex Viper 6.4-20 that was on the WOA. I can't wait to shoot it!!!!

2017-01-30_05-15-522017-01-30_05-15-43

 

2017-01-30_05-15-33

I did this because I am afraid I will soon be losing my back-up, my dad's Stevens .223 to Chris. He is at "that age", and my dad always said it should go to him since he has shot it since he was 5 years old. And after watching him shoot squirrels with it at the beginning of this year, dad is right, and it is that time. I will pull the Vortex Viper off it though. I love him, but I love that scope too :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats.  Very nice!  Can't wait to see that Thordsen stock on it.  LOL  I kid, I kid.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Squid said:

Congrats.  Very nice!  Can't wait to see that Thordsen stock on it.  LOL  I kid, I kid.   

:puke::puke:

Oh the humanity! I will now have nightmares. I am holding YOU responsible for my insomnia now! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HD Rider said:

 I'm gonna take my newest out in about an hour for her first firing.

Well?!?! You're killing me here! :popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got home about an hour ago, been trying to figure out how to get a pic posted of my target.  The new rifle shoots great.  I'll post some pics in just a bit.

Your new one looks great Bob. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pic of my new rifle that Bob helped me with.  It is chambered in .204 Ruger with a White Oak Armament 24 Inch heavy barrel.  I am still amazed at how easy it is to put an AR together. Thank you Bob for all your help/advice. 

Rifle%20Pic_zps3pspibgd.jpg

Shot about 50 Rounds today with it, shot from a rickety bench but still shot pretty good, at least in my opinion.  The two 5 shot groups below were shot at 100 yards with factory Hornady ammo.  I know the rifle can do better than these as I was having a little difficulty seeing the fine cross hairs on the Vortex scope for some reason today. Might just have been due to the black target background.

I also shot about a two dozen long expired 12oz Pepsi cans at 100 yards for the fun of it.  The 204 couldn't miss those, it was too easy.  I had only shot cans with a 17 HMR before and was surprised at how the 204 round simply destroyed those cans.  The 17 would blow out the back side but nothing like what the 204 does to them.   I picked up all the trash before leaving but it seems that a lot of the aluminum must have vaporized.  Didn't even seem to be enough aluminum left to make it worth while saving, weight wise, with the crushed cans I save for recycling.  I cant wait to recycle some squirrels now.

5 shot group (top most hole is actually two holes).

IMG_1358_zpsnpudyilh.jpg

 

6 shot group, The one in the 9 ring was an oops on my part. 

image1_zps8yewfx1d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob give you help and advice ? I would double check the trigger spring, lol

Nice looking AR , I have one just like that but in 223.

My favorite target is white  background with black dot, very easy to see from any distance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice my friend :good:. It was very much my pleasure. Now that you see how easy it is, you know why I have such a problem :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:. I have news for you too, it should settle in and shoot even better. And the best part (at least to me) is that you did it yourself. And did it well I might add. I hope I did as well myself. My Grendel shoots lights out, sure hope this one does too :unsure:. Oh, I'm curious how the sight picture is? With that heavy of a rifle, and that small of a caliber, you must be able to see the impact clear as day? 

On another note, I can't relay enough the quality of the Aero Precision uppers I bought. I went with a blemished WOA upper on the Grendel and it was a great, tight fit and shoots dynamite! I went with an Aero Precision  blemished upper this time. It too is a terrific, tight fit like the WOA upper, just like it should be. Hope it shoots the same too. If you're looking for a quality upper at a steal of a price, you can't beat this deal

 

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-assembled-upper-receiver-blem.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The site picture is pretty good but I was loosing it slightly when shooting the cans and plastic bottles.  It was hard to tell with the cans since they just disenigrated but with the bottles to see the hits with just a slight blurring.  I never tried to hold the rifle down to see if it improved sight picture, I was so excited about the accuracy I didn't think of it till after.  I was using a rest and had my free hand under the butt stock and had the scope at full magnification (24x).  I recall that when I was shooting my little 3 inch round steel gong I was able to see the hit and it swing some times so maybe there is hope of improving the picture with proper rifle positioning.  Reducing the magnification might have help too since eye relieve seems to increase as it lowers.  I will need to focus on that aspect a little more next trip.  I usually set the scope on 12x when teasing the squirrels so I have a wider field of view.  That might fix the issue.  Sight picture wasn't bad but thinking about it afterwards I had hoped it would have been better.  I was wondering if weighting the stock would help.  Guess I'm wanting no recoil at all.  I'll focus on the site picture aspect more next time out.  Oh yeah, my last excuse, I was using a fin grip on the rifle for the first time so couldn't rap my hand around the grip.  Didn't like it much but when shooting on a bench it wasn't much different that shooting a regular rifle stocked bolt type gun.  A regular grip would have given it more recoil control too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bisley, congrats with your new baby girl! She sure is a beauty. I'm curious to know what the twist rate is on that bull barrel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For God's sake Steve, take that damn fine grip off!!!!!!!! You have 11 months before you have to put it on there! And definitely turn the power down if only shooting 100 yards, it will let you see your hits so much better. And I can't say enough good things about the Caldwell Tack Driver front bag, or at least one like it. I won't shoot with anything else now.

 

51 minutes ago, Big Fish said:

Bisley, congrats with your new baby girl! She sure is a beauty. I'm curious to know what the twist rate is on that bull barrel?

Thank you. It is a 1-8 twist, same as the WOA. I like prefer it because it allows me to shoot my 40gr V-Max and 35gr NTX as well as the 69gr SMK's and 55gr GMX.

2 hours ago, Yateswell said:

I see a range trip coming, but you can smoke cigars at range

I could spend 2 or 3 days right now getting a couple things worked out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HD Rider said:

The site picture is pretty good but I was loosing it slightly when shooting the cans and plastic bottles.  It was hard to tell with the cans since they just disenigrated but with the bottles to see the hits with just a slight blurring.  I never tried to hold the rifle down to see if it improved sight picture, I was so excited about the accuracy I didn't think of it till after.  I was using a rest and had my free hand under the butt stock and had the scope at full magnification (24x).  I recall that when I was shooting my little 3 inch round steel gong I was able to see the hit and it swing some times so maybe there is hope of improving the picture with proper rifle positioning.  Reducing the magnification might have help too since eye relieve seems to increase as it lowers.  I will need to focus on that aspect a little more next trip.  I usually set the scope on 12x when teasing the squirrels so I have a wider field of view.  That might fix the issue.  Sight picture wasn't bad but thinking about it afterwards I had hoped it would have been better.  I was wondering if weighting the stock would help.  Guess I'm wanting no recoil at all.  I'll focus on the site picture aspect more next time out.  Oh yeah, my last excuse, I was using a fin grip on the rifle for the first time so couldn't rap my hand around the grip.  Didn't like it much but when shooting on a bench it wasn't much different that shooting a regular rifle stocked bolt type gun.  A regular grip would have given it more recoil control too.

Nice 204! What twist did you get on the White Oak barrel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bisley said:

For God's sake Steve, take that damn fine grip off!!!!!!!! You have 11 months before you have to put it on there! And definitely turn the power down if only shooting 100 yards, it will let you see your hits so much better. And I can't say enough good things about the Caldwell Tack Driver front bag, or at least one like it. I won't shoot with anything else now.

 

Yes, the grip wrap sucks but it was nice to have a standard mag release for the day.  I had actually forgotten how to use one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it looks like it is going to shoot. I started at 25 yards and worked my way out to 100 yards with some junk reloads I had. I decided to try the two loads that work in the Steven's and the WOA. I quickly ran through 10 rounds of V-Max and three loose rounds of NTX. 

2017-02-04_08-33-30

 

2017-02-04_06-46-00

The best part was when I put three rounds from the Steven's, three rounds from the new rifle, and six rounds from the WOA, all with the lead free 35gr NTX with this outcome. 

2017-02-04_06-46-52

The wind kicked up and the sun went down, but I have a lot more testing to do tomorrow, so I will clean the new barrel and try again. Fingers crossed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×