BullsEye

Well I did it again...lol this time in 9mm

9 posts in this topic

I blame Bisley and his posts. lol

I built another AR however this time I decided I wanted a short range plinker. I went with a Aeroprecision lower, matrix arms 9mm side charging upper, Matrix arms 15 inch keymod front grip, KAW valley linear compensator,  New Frontier Armory 16 inch 9mm 1:10 twist match barrel, New Frontier Armory ramped BCG, KAK magwell adapter, RRA mag latch and a CMMG LPK. I took it to the range and it really was a lot of fun to shoot. I unfortunatly had multiple FTE's and from my internet searching I have come up with a few things I need to check. One the extractor pin seems to be chipped so I will need to replace that, two the ejector pin needs to be bent into place to fit the BCG better, and three magazine lips need to be adjusted and four the buffer/spring need some playing with. I honestly think that with the new extractor and modified ejector I should be OK so I will play with those first and hopefully it will be a reliable little rabbit thumper. I have not seen anyone here post on a 9mm build so I figure I would post up and see if you guys have any other ideas on getting the FTE gremlins out of this build. Happy hunting!

:D:D:D

If there as anything more fun than busting rabbits, I can't think of it. And that looks like it would be a terrific setup for it once you get the kinks worked out of it :good:. You must be reading my mind, as I was reading your post, before seeing the pics, I was thinking that a red dot would be perfect for that. I foresee many rabbits and many smiles ahead. Keep your camera charged for us too please. Go get em!

P.S. I will be thinking about your setup this weekend as I have to take moms to Inyo County to check on things (I don't like her driving herself anymore) so I am sure I will find some spare time to control the rabbit population with the new Grendel :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:. When are you planning on breaking your baby in?

Once I get the kinks out of it and duck season is over I imagine. Lol. Its been a long time since I have chased any critters. School and family have taken over all of my time. If all goes as planned I will be done with school in 7 months and then hopefully I will have more play time. 

I hear ya, this summer slipped past me too quickly as well. So many plans, so little time. How does that old saying go? If you want to make God laugh just tel him your plans :lol:

Well I think it was the ejector. I put a round in the bolt face and it seemed to be holding it ok. The extractor pin is still chipped but I was asked to just clean and lube it and give it another chance as they believe "it happens sometimes as the sealant changes color days after... processing."

20161016_164657.jpg

I then checked to see how the ejector was seating on the bcg and it was way off, well it was about 1mm off. Not a big deal till I checked how much space on the cartridge I had to eject the spent case. 

20161018_012754.jpg

Took a few pictures and sharpied the portoon of the shell that gets hit to get ejected. Measured that and it was 3.08mm at its talest and 1.06mm at its widest. That 1mm gap was a massive difference. I hope its fixed now. Will need to take her to the range.

20161018_011725.jpg

Hopefully the minor tweeking resolves the problem. Im no gunsmith but this seemed simple enough. Will keep you poster

I was able to get to the range the other day and shoot the 9mm after a few adjustments. I must say it was shooting much better then before however it still was having failure to eject issues. I am having a new extractor sent to see if that fixes the issue.  I added an FRS15 stock to it and its a funny looking AR. I preffer having the standard collapsible and pistol grip but with so many malfunctions I want to make sure I can remove the magazine easily and safely. I am very happy with the accuracy as I am able to repeatedly place rounds were ever I want within 25 yards. I will eventually take it to an outdoor range and stretch its legs out and see how she performs. I did notice that the 115gr PMC rounds dont eject as well as the Remington 115gr and 147gr do. Perhaps they have a little more power or maybe I was experiencing some magazine  issues. Time will tell but I think some 9mm FMJ +p rounds will work superbly. I will post any changes and advances here so maybe someone will have an easier time with building their 9mm. Eventually need to get some freah meat with this little rifle.

Well after still having mutliple FTEs I changed out to a wolf buffer spring but for some reason I am getting a lot of gas in my face.  Maybe the spring isn't as strong as I thought it would be? I also changed out the extractor  (NFA replaced it free if charge) and it is still having a lot of FTEs. Im changing out the magwell adapter next and will also add a spacer to the buffer and if that's doesn't fix it then I may need advise on a good local smith.