Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BullsEye

Optics for AR?

4 posts in this topic

I know there is a lot of info out on Optics but Im trying to make sense out what type I would like to use. I have a RRA 20in predator persuit 1:8 twist match barrel in 223 wylde and I plan on using it for hunting and long distance target shooting. I think 3-9x40 is to small for its intended purposes and believe a 4-14x44 or similar is ideal. I have a nikon BDC scope for my 3006 and a fixed 4d for my 22. I was thinking of using a mildot reticle however nikon uses moa turrets and mildots in their scopes. Which from what I understand poses a problem? Then I see fist and second focal plane scopes and that futher adds to the confusion for me. What are you guys using on your long rane ars? Any recommendations or things to stay clear from? Thanks guys.

There are times you see moa turrets and mildot reticle, then you need to check scope spec, sometimes mildot in the reticle measures moa, not mil. If not, then you are right, it will pose a problem.

For hunting and long range target shoot, a good sfp scope will work just fine. When using ffp scope for hunt, the reticle is so small in the lower magnification that it's hard to see, and when you crank up the magnification the reticle is too thick that it blocks the target. Most of nightforce scopes are sfp and I use them for 1000 yards match, they work just fine in my opinion.

There are many expert long range master on this forum, like desertfox and Frank, just to name few, wait for their input and go from there.

Depends on how far you want to shoot. I personally have higher powered scopes on my AR's, but I'm shooting ground squirrels out to 300 yards. 12 or 16X on the top end is probably plenty for most people, especially if you're shooting coyotes or targets.

I'm not an expert, just a guy who's hunted most of his life. I have mil dot scopes, and ballistic turrets, I never really use either, but then again I don't normally have the time to dial. Target shooting is a little different, so those turrets come in more handy.

I own several Leupold scopes, I've always had good luck with them. I like 4-14 or 6-18, as 4 or 6 is plenty low for me, and usually my scopes are turned ALL the way up. Most guys don't recommend that, but it works for me. I like power, and figure I can ALWAYS turn it down if needed.

A good variable in 3X9 or a 4.5X14 is mighty plenty for AR type rifle. In my experienced, anything over 14X is wasted power. I seldom wandered over 14X when I used to be active hunting squirrels. Remember, at higher magnification, the reticle get really shaky. It's not a problem to a 16 lbs. rifle but for a 6 lb rifle it will be a PETA. I have two rifles with variables in the 24X and 32X magnification but it never get dialed above 14X. Objective lens should be no more than 40mm for an AR. Anything bigger than that require an extra high rings and an adjustable cheek piece for proper check weld. First focal plane scope is not ideal for a varmint rifle IMHO. The reticle gets bigger when you increase the power therefore will obscure a small target in the distance. You will be surprised how small those squirrels are at 400+ yards. i have a superb B & L 6.5X24 Balvar scope on my 40X. I love the scope but I hated the duplex reticle on it. I don't know why B&L got that reticle so thick. I had a hard time seeing squirrels at 400 yards every time I hunt with it. So stay with 2nd focal plane scope with either BDC reticle or a regular duplex or varmint reticle. Mil-dot is fine but remember it was designed for range estimation. You'll be hard press to use it as bullet compensator.

Varmint shooting is fast and furious therefore there's hardly no time to miss around with the scope turret. I used to set my scope an inch high at 100 yards and be able to shoot squirrels up to 400 yards with out missing around with the turret. Hopefully this helps.