gotsch

What choke???

13 posts in this topic

If you had to choose one choke for everything (pheasant/quail/turkey/coyote/dove/waterfowl.... the whole

Kit and caboodle!) what would you pick? Gotta figure only steel use too! Right now I'm running an extended extra full choke on my beretta a300 outlander with 3" #4 for general use. I'd rather be able to take a coyote at 50-60 yards with this choke while quail hunting (and aim better for small quail then miss a coyote so I can be reckless while aiming for birds).

So what's yalls thoughts? One choke for everything (steel only) and why you would choose that!!

Whichever one you and your shotgun PATTERN the best (densest) with. If you do not PATTERN it to see, you may as well flip a coin, draw straws, or draw from a hat.

That being said, I like to find one on the full side of the spectrum that will pattern well. I hate th3 excuse "it is too tight to hit with consistently". Learn to shoot better. And even a half a bird hit at five yards is better than watching several fly off with one or two pellets in it to die elsewhere.

Middle of the road would be modified.

Tom

For steel use an improved for lead use a modified. Try them like Bisley mentioned and see how they react in your shotgun. Let us know how it works out for you.

You can forget about trying to kill a coyote at 50 to 60 yards with steel shot. Steel pellets do not weigh enough to retain enough speed and energy to penetrate deep enough on a coyote that far away. Even with lead loads that are way better than steel loads 50 to 60 yards is a very long shot for a shotgun.

Having to shoot steel shot at dove and quail is going to be a big learning experience for most of the bird hunters including me. From what I have seen no ammo manufacturers are making good steel hunting loads for dove and quail. I don't think the steel #7 target loads are going to work very good at all on dove or quail from 30 to 40 yards away.

According to my KPY Shotshell Ballistic program steel #7 shot doesn't perform as good as lead #9 shot, so I think steel #6 shot will be the way to go for dove and quail.

A steel #7 pellet at 1325 fps gets 0.90" of gel penetration at 25 yards.

A lead #9 pellet at 1200 fps gets 0.90" of gel penetration at 30.4 yards.

A steel #6 pellet at 1325 fps gets 0.90" of gel penetration at 32.3 yards.

A lead #8 pellet at 1200 fps gets 0.90" of gel penetration at 41.6 yards.

So even steel #6 shot is not going to perform as good as lead #8 shot does. There are some steel duck loads in shot sizes #5 and #6 that will work on dove and quail but they will have way more recoil and speed than what is needed for dove and quail.

Steel shot is so light that 1 oz of steel shot has more pellets in it than 1-3/8 oz of lead shot of the same shot size does. So if you shoot dove at under 30 yards away with a modified choke with steel #7 shot the dove may not be eatable.

In 1 oz of lead #7 shot there are about 297 pellets, in 1 oz of steel #7 shot there are about 420 pellets, there are about 410 lead #8 pellets in 1 oz of shot.

Steel shot and the denser than lead tungsten alloy shot patterns much tighter than lead shot does. I have been using a Mod or Imp/Mod for coyotes with the denser than lead loads but those chokes would be way to tight for shooting birds at under 40 yards away.

I would never even think about using just one choke for all of my shotgun hunting. But if I had to use just one choke with the lead free shot it would probably be a I/C choke. The tungsten alloy coyote loads I have would still kill coyotes at 40 yards with a I/C choke.

I appreciate all this Intel.

Is there a general consensus as to what groups tighter between lead and steel at given ranges?

Oh wait. I see that.

So generally I should be using a modified and steel won't have the take down power at further distances compared to lead. But steel tends to group tighter. So I should allow smaller game to gain some distance with steel.

With steel shot you will need to shoot birds and animals closer to you than you did with lead shot. So you may need to shoot a more open choke with steel shot since it patterns tighter than lead shot does.

Some gun and choke manufacturers call Modified chokes a steel shot Full choke so a I/C choke may pattern more like a Modified choke does using lead shot.

If you're taking 50-60 yd shots at coyotes you'd be better off with a rifle. That is perfect rifle range. If you insist on using a shotgun at those ranges you'd be wise to invest in a quality pair of track shoes as well.

If you insist on using a shotgun at those ranges you'd be wise to invest in a quality pair of track shoes as well.

:lol: