Sign in to follow this  
Plumas

Next rifle...help.

Jeremiah who? :rofl2:

I know damn good and well you of all people know what scene I am referring too!!! You can't fool me :lol:

Bearclaw Chris Lapp:

"Weren't enough dirt down...............Saw it right off" ;)

That 1-12" twist barrel may not stabilize 50 gr lead free bullets. The bullet manufacturers make most of the the .224 cal lead free varmint bullets in 35 gr to 40 gr bullets so they will stabilize in the 1-12" twist barrels.

Bullet choice being what it is I'm sure that after trying different weights and styles there will be more than a few boxes on the shelf that are missing the 10-15 it'll take to verify they don't deliver the accuracy necessary for the intended purpose.

Those will get passed on to other CPC members when in the field together.

You're right in that starting with the lightweights and working up may be the most expeditious way to discover the sweet spot for a new rifle. Range time in another 7 days, oh boy.

I have. A three rifles I used this year. About 20 days of squirrel battle. I have a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 hornet with a Redfield Revenge 4-12.(good value) Very accurate and light enough to carry if you want to move. Great set up for a reasonable price. Expensive to shoot as there is only 1 manufacturer for the ammo.

Savage heavy barrel 17 HMR cheap Bushnell 4-12  cheaper than the Redfield and not as good. Blurry around the edges on high magnification. Very accurate, pretty heavy.

Ruger M77 mk ll .223  Vortex Viper 6.5-20 side focus. Awesome scope for the money. Very accurate but the barrel heats up and the groups open up. Light enough to carry and the .223 has so many bullet options.

Ive now decided to build a very accurate rifle in 204 Ruger. HEAVY.

Savage Target Action with accutrigger. Criterion 26"bull barrel with muzzle brake(I like to see the hits and misses) Boyd's stock. Sightron 6-24 scope. As close to a bench rest gun as I can get on my budget. Just under $2k

There is so much good information on this site.  You're smart to do the research to narrow down your options and then plan for what suits you best.  I'm so glad I don't have to pick just one gun.

A heavy barrel 204 sounds like it will go all day. You're a few steps ahead of me in the technical department and it'll be neat to hear how that construction job comes together into a new rifle. It ls great when you can piece together the best of many brands.

Will the Boyds be a thumb hole laminate? What colors are you going for?

Have fun.

Thumb hole laminate. Grey black. Should go well with the stainless actin and barrel. I just noticed that my last line didn't post. As far as scopes I think the vortex is the best value. If you shop you can find the 6.5 - 20 with side focus for close to or under $400. I've hit thousands of squirrels with it. 

When it comes to scopes spend as much as you can.  Buy once cry once. 

If I were start over I wouldn't buy the 17HMR. Accurate but that little pill loses too much energy too fast. It's always windy in Modoc. I will probably shoot the .223 while I let the 204 cool off. The quality and accuracy of the CZ varmint barrel is impressive. 

Grey.black thumbhole, if I were a squirrel I'd say I'd be pretty intimidated. And I totally agree about the optics, does not matter how straight your rifle shoots if you can't make out a target at the farthest distances your caliber is designed to operate to.

The whole lead free thing is a question for me, figured a lead free bullet is still a larger package than a similar weight lead bullet so it must also be effected by wind more as it is a larger surface for the same weight. Am I right?? I wonder if it takes 50 yards off every caliber to stay as effective or wind resistant as a leaded bullet how caliber choice will be affected down the road.

Thought a 17 (in years to come...lead free only) might just loose some of its effectiveness and since a limited budget guy like me needs to be as all purpose as possible a 223 would be a better 1 rifle choice even if I have to re-barrel after 2019 it to have a better twist for lead-free pills. I see the case for every caliber, I just cannot afford to have speciality rifles outside of one dedicated 223.. I love to hear about those that you guys build, so please keep it up. Learning about this stuff is almost as fun as using it.

Just received a RCBS primer pocket swage die so I can start reloading mil cases....I'm learning,,,slowly.

Put the first bullets through the new Rem 700 223.

Its the 'cheap' ADL not the varmint model. The included a no name 4-12 scope was not labeled as its maker was probably embarrassed by the quality.

Anyway it shot better than I can...meaning it put several 3 shot groups into .75" at 100 yards so I'm quite satisfied that if the owner can improve a bit the rifle will do whatever he asks of it. Flyers were my fault and the lack of a good table rest, I'll shop for that next. I thought that was pretty good for the first rounds out of the box.

I shot up about 100 rds of factory Hornady 55gr SP ammo as that's what I had on hand. Will start on reloads with 36, 40 and 50 gr and we'll see what we will see. The 1 in 12 twist will force the bullet selection to under 62gr...I think.

Glad I waited on a scope as the advice I picked up here from al;l you guys is dead on....a 4-12 won't cut it with my eyes, need to look at a higher power.

I was looking around and came across this. If you wanted a 4-16x instead of a 6.5-20x, this isn't a horrible deal. Just note that it is a V-Plex reticle, not a BDC reticle. Some care, some don't about the BDC reticle.

Vortex® Viper® HS 30mm Riflescopes : Cabela's

Thank you sir!

That's a better deal than the Diamondback HP was a week ago.

The 4-16x will be perfect and I kinda like the simplicity of the v-plex. I plan on having just 1 or 2 loads that shoot well so it'll be easy to remember the drop at distances as long as a good range finder is part of the process.

Just closed my eyes and hit send for a Cabelas order for that Vortex Viper....Thanks Bisley.

I was looking at the Diamondback HP at $329, with CPC input I got a step up for less $....can'r beat that!