BullsEye

Honda, Subaru or Toyota?

15 posts in this topic

So I am in the market for a small suv that has off road capability. Im leaning towards the subaru forester but Im also looking at the rav4 and the CRV. What do you guys think and recommend? Gas mileage and offroading capability are my concerns as are safety for my family.

The Subarus are probably the best but we have a 2015 CRV all wheel drive that works very well and get good mileage.

Out of those choice's, I know many of my friends have had very good success with the Subaru. Bill K

I rented an all wheel drive Nissan Rogue when I was in Alaska. I was really impressed with the power of it's 4 cylinder engine. Not sure how good it is off road but the ground clearance is high enough.

When you need help they will all fit in the bed of my full size Ford equally as well, which has actually given me less troubles than friends with new imports, despite my abuse :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Of course I will need a second job to afford the fuel to bring it home :014:

I will look into the nissan.

FORD you mean, Found On Road Dead aka Fix On Race Day. No thanks. Lol.

My toyotas have always served me well. My tacoma and corolla have kept me safe over the last 18 years or so. They have been very reliable, however, Im looking at something new. I feel Subaru is a great alternative but we shall see.

If it can hold my decoys and some ducks I should be good. Lol.

Honda's have a very good service record. We've owned Honda's since 1969 and several at a time and never had a problem. I have had our CRV in the snow without any problems in fact when I wanted to spin circles in a snowy parking lot the all wheel drive wouldn't let me. I've had it on the beach too and getting to and from the beach the sand was very soft, without any problems.

You are right about Ford in fact Ford has bought two of my vehicles back. No more of those for me.

I rented an all wheel drive Nissan Rogue when I was in Alaska. I was really impressed with the power of it's 4 cylinder engine. Not sure how good it is off road but the ground clearance is high enough.

We just sold our AWD Rogue. Great car. Did a lot of driving in the snow/ice, always worked great. Not a ton of power but enough. We averaged about 25 mpg on hwy. Plenty of storage space when you put the rear seats down. They have the same CV transmission as the 4 cylinder Subaru...kinda weird when you first drive it (they don't shift)

Subaru makes a nice car but are quite a bit more pricey than the Rogue.

I've owned Toyota's as well...always had great luck with them.

Most places you go when you hunt will be served just fine with an awd. Maybe some thick mud or sand will make you want something more.

Remember, after a 40mph head-on with no braking, less than 5 hours later I never turned a bolt and was Found On a Road in the Desert while their IMPORT was pronounced DOA ;)

Most of my family and friends drive domestic trucks and have had similar results. Not to mention an uncle in CO who spent 20 years in the State Troopers, many of them on God awful roads with multiple accidents each day. He begs us to all buy full size domestic vehicles after all he has seen.

When you are approaching a blind corner on a road, barely wide enough for one vehicle, do you wonder if you will make it home if some idiot comes flying around that turn. I know I will :)

Another car thats worth looking for is the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Toyota stop making them in 2014 but you can still find a slightly use one for around 30K. Me and my buddy Frank drove his to Texas a few years back and the car is just perfect for two guys with their gears on a long trip.

168121_178404575527320_246297_n_zpsnazbf

Isn't an FJ the same thing as a 4runner eith a different shell on top of the frame?

Maybe a used 4runner eould be cheaper for similar capabilities.

Also, FWIW I have 2 coworkers that were Ford mechanics. They think pretty highly of Ford trucks especially the 7.3, the 4.6/5.0, and I think the 6.0?

I have an old 1988 F250 4X4 with a 7.3L it's pretty bomb proof but not in this category. :oops:

4runner has very high re-sale value, so is Tacoma, might as well buy a new one but that's not what OP was asking...

I had a Toyota Tacoma for years.

It would go anywhere, Snow, mud, or up a hill without a road.

I would recommend the 6 cylinder.

Tom