Sign in to follow this  
Switch

Tahoe Mackinaws

We had our annual family reunion up in Lake Tahoe this last weekend. One of my cousins booked us on a half day morning charter on the last day. I've been watching the reports and the mackinaw bite has been amazing.

We arrived before dark and started trolling plugs with down riggers. After a slow start, once the sun popped up, the fish started biting. My cousin Jeff got top fish honors with a fish close to ten pounds. The limit is two fish per angler, and we fished every last minute to get them. The second half of the trip we dropped smaller baits down deeper and got into a great bite of 4-8 pounders. An awesome day out with family.

My cousin Jeff with the big fish of the trip. A nice mackinaw.

IMG_6600_zpsfymnpxbq.jpg

Me and Jeff with the two big fish of the trip.

IMG_6639_zps8uyrviwy.jpg

A group photo with the day's haul. Right after this photo, Rich's rod hooked up with his second fish...a boat limit at the last second.

IMG_6629_zpsme3oo6ds.jpg

Jeff's pig waiting to be cleaned.

IMG_6642_zpsqfj3ei5s.jpg

Great report and pictures Tim!

When you cleaned them did you see what they had been eating?

Have had a few very nice trips, over the years, with some very nice Mac's boated, tagged and released. Who did you book and fish with, I used Mickey Daniels as my boat guide, super nice person, if he is still around there. Bill K

Bob, the big ones had sculpin in their bellies. Many of the fish we caught regurgitated during the tug to the surface. Despite the depths, those fish fought strongly all the way to the surface. it was a great time.

Bill, we fished with Mike Nielson of Tahoe Topliners. A great guy who knows his stuff. He had our area of the lake wired. I would most definitely book with him again.