DEERSLAM

Ground squirrels/Prairie dogs

35 posts in this topic

I bought the same bench at Sportsmans in Rocklin a couple of weeks ago...pretty nice setup for the money. I hope to be using it more real soon.

I finnished my bench on thursday and took 'er for a spin today. :signlol2iu: Thanks again for the plans SN :1106: . It was waaaaaay nicer to shoot varmints from a bench than trying to use different parts of a hot pickup truck. My hit average went way up, especially on the shots passed 250 yards. One spot that I shoot has a nice squirrel colony at a perfect 300 yards from the dirt road. I set up the bench with my little shooting vice, turned the scope up to 24 power, set the first dot on 'em and shot 16 of the little buggers with 18 shots (the little ones are so dumb :roflmao3[1]: ). I need to use a different paint/coating on it though because when I turn it over and slide it back into the bed of my truck the line-x really wears at the paint.

I finnished my bench on thursday and took 'er for a spin today. :1106: Thanks again for the plans SN :good: . It was waaaaaay nicer to shoot varmints from a bench than trying to use different parts of a hot pickup truck. My hit average went way up, especially on the shots passed 250 yards. One spot that I shoot has a nice squirrel colony at a perfect 300 yards from the dirt road. I set up the bench with my little shooting vice, turned the scope up to 24 power, set the first dot on 'em and shot 16 of the little buggers with 18 shots (the little ones are so dumb :signlol2iu: ). I need to use a different paint/coating on it though because when I turn it over and slide it back into the bed of my truck the line-x really wears at the paint.
NICE!!! :653: I'm guessing your talking about the spot over there between the heifers and the river, at the edge of the irrigation ditch? Which gun were you using, the CZ or the Savage? :roflmao3[1]:

Nope. Remember those lower mounds on the ditch by carpenter? Well, those little buggers are all over that area and I put a serious dent in thier population. I didn't see a single squirrel where the dirt road dead ends at the ditch. We did a good job of getting rid of that colony. Now the ones further down the line are gettin' it in a bad way. I was shooting the savage. I'm going to prime some cases for the 17 as soon as I get off the computer. When are we gonna get some pics of some Oregon kills? I hear the wolverines and ligers are pretty thick up there, hope you have skills with num-chucks or a bow-staff. :504:

Good job. I may countersink my bolts this week if I have time. Suggestion, you may want to limit the number of squirrels you shoot in a colony or you might wipe them out. Gotta leave some seed for next season! :504:

When are we gonna get some pics of some Oregon kills? I hear the wolverines and ligers are pretty thick up there, hope you have skills with num-chucks or a bow-staff. :)
If I could find the darn adapter cord to download the pics from my camera, I've got some pics. Although I have 3 confirmed kills, I only have one kill pic. But I've got a couple pics of turkeys on my driveway and one standing just outside our living room window. Saw a nice buck 2 days ago with about 6" of antlers started, all covered in velvet. I saw alot more deer when it was raining, but it's been all sunshine with an occasional cloud for the last week and a half. It was 65* at 3pm when I was in Portland yesterday, couldn't ask for nicer weather!

Good job. I may countersink my bolts this week if I have time. Suggestion, you may want to limit the number of squirrels you shoot in a colony or you might wipe them out. Gotta leave some seed for next season! :)
I quit shooting befor I got too many of them and went to another spot. It takes alot of will power to stop shooting when the little ones keep comeing back. On my bench I used flat phillips headed machine screws. When I tightened the nuts on the backside I just used a screwdriver to keep the bolt from turning and they counter sunk themselves.Hey Wes, count us in for the fourth of july. We're planning on takeing a few days off and makeing a four or five day trip out of it.

Hey Wes, count us in for the fourth of july. We're planning on takeing a few days off and makeing a four or five day trip out of it.
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see you guys up here!!! :) You gonna drive, fly, or Amtrak it? Whichever you choose, if you need me to pick you guys up anywhere or you need to borrow a vehicle, just say the word!

I use a similar bench to Stiff Necks. As far as chairs/stools. Sportsmans has a small 3 legged chair, realtree or some camo. Has adjustable legs and the 3 legs make getting comfy with the bench easy. I think it was $25ish.