Sign in to follow this  
Dutchman

First 10/22 build. Some early problems solved.

I have been so happy to FINALLY see 22lr on the shelves consistently that I decided to build a target Ruger 10/22. I bought a cheap stainless 10/22 from big 5 and gutted it down to the receiver. I got all the parts from Tony Kidd, polished the inside of the receiver as the original action was absolutely gritty.

Parts:

20" target crown bull barrel .920" diameter that went in without a hitch (froze barrel overnight and heated receiver at 250 drg f for an hour before assembling and leveling.

Kidd Charging handle, rod and spring. (Made mistake of putting on light spring and had some stovepipes, which went away when I switched to the standard tension spring)

Kidd 2 stage trigger with 1# pull (8 oz on takeup, and another 8oz to get the trigger break)

Scope is the Nikon BDC 150 rimfire 4-12 power

Stock, Boyd's ss Evolution

Target%2010%2022_zps3b5ye8sb.jpg

Target%2010%2022%20scalloped%20bolt%20an

The accuracy at 50 yards is excellent. It took 1 magazine to sight in for a 50 yard zero with CCI standard velocity 40 grain round nose. The first 10 shot group was about .40" center to center.... then the wind kicked up, lol. This gun seems to like the CCI stuff and the Wolf Match. I have not yet tried any of the premium ammo.

The only problem I had after the spring tension issue was dealt with were problems with failure to feed, with the bolt sliding over the rim and bashing the middle of the brass. The factory 10 round mags were actually hanging down on the front end by 1/16th of an inch.

When I took the stock off, I noticed the trigger group is not parallel to the bottom of the receiver like it is on my old 1976 ruger. The rear holes were drilled a bit too high so the face of the trigger group allows the mags to droop. To solve this (as there is no way in hell I'm going to bother sending an otherwise accurate shooter back to ruger with all these mods on it) I employed the 10 cent solution of shimming things up with Gaffer's tape (like duct tape but leaves no residue when removed. Several hundred rounds fired with no more malfunctions.

target%2010%2022%20ten%20cent%20solution

I do not know if this issue of poor adherence to tolerance has caused this mag issue for anyone else, but if your 10/22 is malfunctioning in this manner, this is worth a try.

Why freeze the barrel and then heat it?

Yeah, last I saw they were bolted in place in a wedge. Did something change?

I actually went the other way, I sold a couple lr's and bought center fires. I will NOT pay their prices for it, especially when I can load .38's & .45LC's for the same price! Plus I wonder how long it will stay available? But yours does look very, very nice. And sounds like it shoots great too. Hope you enjoy, and hope ammo stays available for you.

Why freeze the barrel and then heat it?

Froze the barrel, and heated the receiver so the pieces mated up more easily. Otherwise the fit is so tight you have to beat the receiver pretty hard.

Just to clarify, KIDD machines their barrels on the "plus" side of specifications. A 10/22 barrel slides into the receiver and is held in place. Sometimes, as in MOST OF THE TIME with a quality barrel, the 2 parts won't just "slide together"... Thus, shrink the barrel OD and enlarge the tenon ID.

I REALLY like the gun you built, very classy!!! I'd like to build myself something like that but I already have 6 10/22's in various incarnations, and don't shoot them all regularly enough to try and justify to myself ANOTHER one... LOL

Just curious, why not a 30-33 yard Zero? That's what I've always done, always seemed to work well for me. But then again, I'm always looking for a better way to do things.

Do please post some more pics and info on this rifle. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it.

Going to look really nice on the wall once the ban is in effect.

Guess it could be your AZ or NV gun.

I own a couple .22s myself.

Going to look really nice on the wall once the ban is in effect.

Guess it could be your AZ or NV gun.

I own a couple .22s myself.

LOL, It won't be sitting on the wall. I'll use it for club 22lr events. As far as hunting in Commifornia, once my son gets drawn for his junior hunt we will only be hunting out of state. If DFG wants my hunting dollars in exchange for their lead ban, they can screw themselves with a flaming cactus, sideways.

I hear ya. I don't even bother buying .22 lr anymore. Not big on gun ranges.

I have studied the ballistics on .22 lr and always sighted my rifle in at 75 yds. It works well for squeaks.