ShooterJohn

New Polaris Ranger...

Well, I've wanted to get something that was easy for me to get into since my back and legs give me so much trouble. Even after my spine fusion surgery it will be nice as a work vehicle and is perfect for around my area. I will be able to use it up at my property as well. I am very pleased with it so far especially how quick it is with the Electronic Fuel Injection and its 47hp. The electronic power steering is as easy to turn as my tractors hydraulic steering which is very smooth. It is a full size model so it seats three across if need be. It has a nice big dump bed on it that will carry 1,000 pounds and it will tow 2,000 pounds with its 2 inch ball hitch. I really like the tilt steering wheel too. It has a nice Turf Mode where you can unlock the rear wheels so that it doesn't rip out grass when turning and it saves your tires on hard surfaces. Then it has two wheel locked and then finally four wheel on demand four wheel drive. It has a 4500 pound Warn winch with synthetic rope which I like better than steel cable. The synthetic rope doesn't twist up like steel cable and it doesn't stab you with wire if it gets nicked. It does over 50mph which is nice if need be.

Ranger1_zpsoshaqv9l.jpg

Ranger3_zpsb7cnx0hv.jpg

Ranger2_zpsfqazjutm.jpg

Very nice! Needs a gun rack though lol. Congrats John! Should be MUCH easier to get around with. They have become very popular in the park where our trailer is as well. They get a lot of use. Out of curiosity, how is the noise? I've heard them range from fairly quiet to obnoxiously loud. And I love the 2wd differential unlock! Great thinking. Also, are they CV belt driven?

I think it is remarkably quiet. But I'm half deaf. Others say it is quiet. The two wheel drive differential unlock was a major selling point to me. I don't want it tearing up the grass at the park. It is belt driven which I was a little worried about until I found out how easy they are to change. Plus used in the correct gear they last a long time. The tilt steering wheel is a favorite of the wife, who knew.

Yeah, I've never heard of one that you could unlock the rear. Amazingly ingenious! Belts are nice. Smooth, seamless, and easy to upkeep. Only downfall can be water if submerged long enough. But even then just drain the box and run it for a couple minutes while the motor heat dries it off. You should be very happy with it.

I knew a woman that bought a vehicle because the cup holders were her big selling pont lol. True story :)

I think it is remarkably quiet. But I'm half deaf. Others say it is quiet. The two wheel drive differential unlock was a major selling point to me. I don't want it tearing up the grass at the park. It is belt driven which I was a little worried about until I found out how easy they are to change. Plus used in the correct gear they last a long time. The tilt steering wheel is a favorite of the wife, who knew.

I use one at work all the time. I was told by our mechanic that its a good idea to let it idle for a little while so the belt will warm up. He said it will make the belt last longer. I've broke a few belts on it. Because they seem to break in the worse places, I carry a spare and the few tools required to fix it on the trail.

Congrats John!

SJ, cool minitruck. I'm with you on synthetic rigging, no metal splinters, no corrosion, no getting kinks. Endless slings are cool to.

I agree that all the differential modes are cool. When battery's progress further for cheaper, making those things electric will be cool.

I have a couple of endless slings and they are great. I carry a power puller with Amsteel synthetic cable on my tractor when I had to move something I couldn't reach with my backhoe.

http://www.baileysonline.com/shop.axd/ProductDetails?item_no=17435&utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cse&id=186707860105&gclid=CPfE-pTLjs0CFU1rfgodN24AUw

They do make an electric version of the Ranger but for now gas is easier for me.

Is it road legal?

Not yet but I understand that you can get duel registration after you make the required upgrades and jump through the right hoops. That includes a windshield, rear view mirror, turn signals and DOT approved tires. Then you have to have CHP approve it before going to DMV.

Nice John!

I picked up a new mid size EPS a couple of months ago. The new version is much nicer than the older ones. The power steering makes a big difference.

I already made an aluminum roof for it and put a winch in the bumper.

The new location for the cup holders was a design upgrade from their previous locations (!)

I do find all of the Polaris Rangers to be a bit on the noisy side. The electric one is quiet, but it adds quite a lot of weight to the rig.

I took it out last week and had a blast. Plenty of power.

Good luck with yours!

Bill

I just wish I could take it out and use it, hopefully they'll let me in a couple of weeks. But yes Bill they have come along ways, that Electronic Power Steering is really sweet. It's quieter than my tractor so that's what I'm comparing it to. I'm glad that you are enjoying yours.

Not yet but I understand that you can get duel registration after you make the required upgrades and jump through the right hoops. That includes a windshield, rear view mirror, turn signals and DOT approved tires. Then you have to have CHP approve it before going to DMV.

Really? That is cool, I wonder if I can get my Rhino plated... Hmmmm.. Would be nice to run to the gas station or liquor store a few miles away in that rather than firing up the diesel truck....

Let us know what you do for a gun rack.. I still havent figured anything out in mine... Debatting between a Kolpin boot, or some type of overhead rack system for in the cab....

If you guys go to get dual registration you may want to consider having the paperwork filed by a certified third party company. It cost a hair more, but it is a thousand times easier. I did it with the XR-400 years ago. Bought it as a dirt bike, converted it to dual sport. Technically, the DMV required a "steel" gas tank among other silly little items. The third party made sure it had a battery and lights, signed it off and went to the DMV for and had it signed off. Not only was it cheaper in the long run,but I didn't have to deal with the D(amn)M(otor)V(ehicles) either.