Divernhunter

Suggestions: 12v Air compressor

I am looking for suggestions for a 12v air compressor that is high pressure and volume for inflating truck tires on a 4X4 pick-up as needed without needing to wait 2 days for the job to get done.

The reason is I need to inflate my truck tires to approx 80psi when towing my travel trailer but need to let them down to about 50psi once it is in place for the hunt. Then inflate the truck tire back up to 80psi when I go to tow it home. Also to inflate truck, trailer, ATV tires if they get low or a puncture.

I want something that will hold up to some use, do the job fairly quick and not fall apart during use or after being used a few times. I have a cheap/slow one now but want a better one.

Any suggestions and no I will not take my home 110v 40gal unit with me. I need to be able to store it in the truck behind the rear seat. It is a 4 door pick-up.

I have the Q Industries SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor 12 Volt, 120 PSI, Model MV50 for about 5 years now, use it a punch times on my Tacoma, seems it's holding up ok.

Budget can be $250 but prefer less like $150

Just need to get an idea of what is out there and will work for me. Already have a couple of smaller units but would like more volume with pressure.

I do not want a mounted one. That is just an AC compressor. We use to take R-4 compressors and make mounts to use them. Make a small air filter and a connection for an air line. Also made a square/rectangle bumper for an air tank for them. A switch would turn on/off the clutch. A little shot of light oil every so offen so they would not lock up. They work great. One guy made a air powered blender that he made crushed ice drinks with on the trail.

The old York compressors were also good but larger. At least they did not require any oil added. I still have a York compressor with a washing machine motor I made into an AC vacuum pump.

I have a Viair and it has a 100% duty cycle. It's made for inflating 30" tires and will inflate to 100 psi. But it was a couple of hundred bucks.

I have a Viair model 400-P for RVs. I bought it in a kit from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B68XGC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's been in use now for about 3-4 years in our RV (32" tires). Very solid construction. The kits comes with plenty of hose (2 - 30' hoses to reach 5th wheel/trailer tires), lots of inflating attachments, extra air filters and a very compact carrying case. This pump has a working capacity of 150 psi. It's a relatively quiet and very powerful unit but, as the literature suggests, keep your engine running when using the pump. It draws a lot of amps (about 30) and must be connected directly to the battery with the unit's alligator clamps. Depending on the road conditions, we keep our RV tires at 100-120 psi. We've inflated everything from pool toys, car tires, bike tires and RV tires. Never a hiccup.

They cost more (around $300) but they are well worth the money.