Sign in to follow this  
Bisley

Lead Free Bullet Lengths

I was loading some more lead free tonight and thought I would lend a little insight to those who are still learning about it. This is a good visual comparison of he .458 bullets for the .45-70. I had mentioned before how before these bullets came out I couldn't get it through some very stubborn heads (including moderators who lived on the East coast and still thought they knew all about lead free even though they had never seen let alone shot any) about why these bullets are so much lighter in weight. Simple answer: In many cases they have to be! All you heard was bitching and moaning about a 250gr .45-70 bullet. It was said it would be like shooting dinner plate, big around, but no length and ballistics. Well, take a look at the picture below. The 325gr lead core bullet is the same length (Okay, actually it's 0.010" shorter :rolleyes: ). The FTX (lead core) is 1.10 inches long while the Monoflex (lead free) is 1.090 inches long, but there is a 75 grain difference!!! That's almost a 75% weight difference, but still the same length! The reason of course is because lead is heavier, and needs less material (read shorter bullet) to make the same weight. This is exactly why guys like dabob had put a post on here a while back warning/informing you about watching for barrel twist rates if you are looking at new rifles. As you can see, the different bullets with different internal materials really does make a H U G E difference. Heed their warning if you know what's good for you ;) .

IMG_20160218_205948_3081_zps14kyumjt.jpg

Vey good comparison and points/comments made. If some of those folks would just sit back, look and reason on why lead free are longer, more often than not, they would see and understand. And like you mentioned, if they would, first actually see, handle or even shoot some. But they have and do not. But sure have a opinion. Your comments and the photo should shed some good light on those folks. :good: Bill K

Great presentation of information that seems so clear. Why are people all wrapped around the axle on this.

Facts over feelings.

325gr. and 250gr., are these ground squirrels loads?

Don't be silly, these are tipped medium/big game bullets designed for large animals such as cottontails and jacks. The Hornady 300gr HP's are for small game like squirrels :751:

IMG_20150927_123657043_zpspwja0qdb.jpg