Sign in to follow this  
Trailer Guy

Finally got optics on this one

Built this AR using an Anderson lower almost two years ago. I took it out once without optics and made sure it went bang when I pulled the trigger, which it did. Since then I got busy building an AR for the wife for a wedding gift, an old rifle for my father for his bday, and other little projects that took up my time and money. Finally for xmas and my bday this year the wife and my grandfather and father pitched in money so I could get some optics on my project. This AR project was a cheap build really. Total with shipping and all included for all the parts was $480, not including the optics. Lower parts came from Palmetto, some upper parts from MidWay, and barrel from CBC. Everything was purchased on black friday and xmas sales in 2013, assembled and then locked up in the corner of the safe. With a few bucks I had left over from getting the scope I got a nicer buttstock and bipod and added them since. So that adds a little to the final price now.

When looking for optics I kept seeing good reviews on the Nikon scopes. After going back and forth I decided on the M-223. Asking some advice on another forum I was contacted by someone there that was selling a Monarch 3, 4-16x42 with Burris mount. After a bit of talking I got his setup with level for $400 to my door. Got it mounted up and took it out finally to zero it at 100 yards. First shot group went far left and down. Made an adjustment, waited about 15mins, daughter was also shooting, and made another group. This was good elevation wise but a little to the right. I planned on waiting a bit and another group but time got away from me and 30mins later it was pretty windy so I decided not to make any more groups and just let my youngest have fun. See how the wind is tomorrow morning and maybe head back out if I can swing it. My zeroing groups were 1/2", which makes me very happy, and very surprised. The load I used was one I worked up for my wifes AR, so I was just using the rounds to help zero. Obviously it worked good in mine also. Anyhow, a few pics and off to do my taxes......

image_2.jpg

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

Thanks guys. You can see in the first target pic that the first group didn't even hit the target I was aiming for. You can just see the edge of the target I was actually wanting to hit. 44 clicks right and 12 clicks up and I was at least closer to what I aimed at. LOL

Got up this morning wanting to hit the range but it's a little breezy. I don't want to waste the fuel and rounds to just shoot at clays or small water bottles. Really wanting to dial in the scope and see if I can keep these groups going right now. So I'll probably pay the kids to wash the cars and wait to see if the breeze goes away closer to noon.

I do normally shoot at 50 yards first, but the range was a bit full of people so I decided to go straight to 100 yards. My own fault, I didn't bore sight it or anything before leaving the house. At least the reloads are cheap to shoot. Better than the 7mag. Those are much more expensive range days, lol.

u guys know how to do the one bullet zero right? you have to at least hit paper first, but it will save u a fortune when you have to zero in the non-lead stuff.

I don't shoot with a sled or anything to hold and steady the rifle for me. The most I'll use are bi pods. That method works fine and I've used it before using a rifle clamp that I own years ago. It's just not a method I use because I'm wanting to zero a group of shots together, so zeroing my average I guess. Plus, with something like factory ammo, unless maybe you're into some higher end match ammo, an average group zero I feel is more accurate than a single shot. I use three shots and not five as I feel three shots is the most you'll ever get at a target before it is out of sight, out of range, or down. While I do complain about the cost of rounds, in reality I used about $1.20-$1.30 on those 6 shots. Cost will go up with non lead, but I should already be very close to zero by then.

That's something I've tried to explain to one of my friends, that my rifles are "zeroed" to me. He'll get behind them and they'll group in a little different spot. Not that big of a deal, just gotta spin the turrets a little.

Congrats on your rifle, looks to be a good shooter! I've said it a bunch, but I love that we live in an age where I can build a sub MOA rifle myself for pretty cheap.

Yep, every rifle zero's to each person just slightly different. Usually very close, but a little different. Also, ammo is a huge factor. Perfect example of that was yesterday.

Went to work early so I got off a bit early. No real wind so I quickly grabbed a few things and headed to the range. I got the scope on with my reloads, same as I shot before. Gonna need to work on the loads a bit and see if I can bring them in even tighter. Out of four groupings, one group of 3/4", the other three groups were 1". Since I had it on target I decided to try a few different loads to see how it did.

I shot some 55gr. V-Max, .223 factory Hornady loads. About 1.25" low, .5" left, nice 1/2" group.

Then shot 75gr. BTHP 5.56 Hornady Match factory loads. About 1.5" low, 1.5" right, 1 1/2" group. (A primer blew out of the brass in one of these)

55gr. FMJ American Eagle, 1" low, centered, 1 1/2" group.

Went back to my reloads for one group, 1" group centered.

Stopped with the groups and started just having fun shooting at clays with my 13yr old daughter, ranging from 75 to 125 yards. She had fun and it made the trip much more worth it.

I was a bit surprised at the amount each brand/load moved, but I knew they would be off some, just more than I expected at 100yds. It could have easily been me, as I don't claim to be a Carlos Hathcock by any stretch.

Honestly my next load build up will probably be around a 55gr FMJ Hornady bullet. I just got a new box of 1,000 for plicking, and the kids like shooting the AR's also, so we go through a few rounds. I don't expect tight groups from these, but shooting clays out to 200yds would be fine for me. All in all, it was a good quick trip and I got a little more time behind this AR. Everyone of them I've put together shoots just slightly different. I'm keeping on eye out for different non lead rounds at the LGS and will get some different ones as I see them to try out.

I don't shoot with a sled or anything to hold and steady the rifle for me. The most I'll use are bi pods. That method works fine and I've used it before using a rifle clamp that I own years ago. It's just not a method I use because I'm wanting to zero a group of shots together, so zeroing my average I guess. Plus, with something like factory ammo, unless maybe you're into some higher end match ammo, an average group zero I feel is more accurate than a single shot. I use three shots and not five as I feel three shots is the most you'll ever get at a target before it is out of sight, out of range, or down. While I do complain about the cost of rounds, in reality I used about $1.20-$1.30 on those 6 shots. Cost will go up with non lead, but I should already be very close to zero by then.

I totally agree. I just meant for the initial setup.. I use the a sled for the initial setup, but after that I shoot how I would in the real world (without a sled). It seems that sleds are hard to find when you are hunting. lol

When I had to switch to non lead, It got pretty pricey for ammo. $48 bucks or so for a box of 20. OUCH