sxshooter

AR-10?

32 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about an AR-10 type gun. Any thoughts on these and their makers? My preference is toward a heavy short-medium length barrel.

i have a bushmaster ORC and i love it. not really fancy but a decent stock trigger and pretty good acuracy for a short heavy contour barrel out of the box. only wish the ammo was cheaper for burning through 308 quickly.

https://www.bushmaster.com/firearms/MOE_series.asp#myModal-90827

mine was the basic but i fitted it with the MOE foregaurd and stock and it made the rifle feel alot better.

I've been looking at the Thordsen FRS stock to build a featureless gun. At first I thought it was an abomination. But the more I look at it, the more functional it looks.

If I had the cash, I'd get a Seekins or LaRue. But from reading mags the S&W is supposed to be nice and easier on the wallet.

I went blind looking at the ugly picture.... :puke:

Hahahahaha, yeah, I understand the ignorant laws they are trying to skate around, but I refuse to shoot anything uglier then me!!! And that's say a LOT!

This gun would just be a tool to me. I have little to no hobby interest or fascination with black guns. I bought a Sig P239 several years ago and only fired a few magazines thru it. I should practice with it more, but just haven't made it a priority. This rifle would probably get about the same interest.

I should probably just buy a S&W M&P10 and be done with it.

if you want to go 308 semi and featureless just go get the M1A scout or socom 16

The M1A is definitely a candidate. Socom and Scout would be my preference over a full rifle M1A. The only issue I have with them is the forward scope position.

The Christensen CA-10 is an interesting gun. 7.8 lbs 1 MOA guarantee, Timney trigger, carbon wrapped barrel, carbon floated hand guard. Its a direct impingement gas system. I'd prefer a piston, but it's not a deal breaker.

Given the recent laws that Moonbeam signed, it's been in the back of my mind to revisit the AR-10 . 

I stumbled on a few at Turners this week.  They had 2 Christensen CA-10s and a LWRC REPR.  They both seem to be reviewed well.  Both MOA guns.  But the REPR was incredibly heavy.  Both were within $400 of each other.  I chose a Christensen in tungsten gray.

Now, I'm going to need a scope.  Suggestions?  Looking for no more than around 4x at the bottom and should be over 10x at the top.  Budget is under $1k

chriscr15_zpsbufh51sh.jpg

I'm looking for a scope for my Christensen CA-10 DMR that I pick up at the end of the week.

I looked at and read about the Nikon M308 and P308, but some of one review wasn't good about the clarity. I just don't know about the ruggedness and warranty of Nikon either. (and I'm a Nikon camera guy dyed in the wool).

I looked at the Nightforce line. I hear many good things about them. I've never owned that brand. Maybe they're great. But dang they can be pricey.

I looked at Vortex. Some of them are reasonably priced. Some are way up there. I don't know squat about which ones are good and which are not so much.

So, I gravitated to what I know. I know Leupold scopes are good. I've had a half dozen or more over the years. All were great and never gave any problems. So, how about this Vx-6 3x-18x 30mm tube, 50mm objective, with the CDL and zero lock? Anyone have any experience with this scope?

I have a Nikon on a single shot rifled slug gun. It is one of there inexpensive specialty scopes designed for a rifle. It is a 3x9 BDC scope. This gun will make you say ouch if you take it to the range and shoot it off the bench a few times. I don't care who you are, this thing makes my 300 win mag feel like a baby gun. I would not be afraid to put a Nikon on any thing. The accuracy of this slug gun is amazing. I also own Night Force and Leupold scopes. They all are good and serve their purpose. Some times simple is better. You can get to much scope and two many knobs to turn is what I am trying to say here. For instance you could miss a shot at a deer because you can not tell if he is legal or not because you have the parallax adjusted wrong and your scope is not as clear as it should be. By the time you get your scope adjusted the deer decides to walk or run away. On a tactical rifle where I might be shooting at a bunch of different ranges from close to pretty far out there. I would keep the scope simple is my two cents. I like the simplicity of simple things when hunting and I might have to make a snap shot or be pushed for time. My Nikon scope is clear and I like it. It only has one knob to turn after sight in, the magnification ring. For the price of this scope it amazes me. I really really like it.

Bennie,

Thanks for your perspective and the information on the Nikon you have. 

I also like simple most of the time, especially for a hunting gun.  That is one reason why I am looking at a scope that can go down to 3x.  I've had several scopes that were 3x or so variable power that would go to 9 or 10x, that I always left at their lowest magnification when hunting.  On only a few shots at game did I ever use a higher magnification setting than the lowest. All were at pronghorns. 

While this gun may be a "tactical" gun, I have no illusions that it will ever be used in that manner.  This is a range toy.

I have had a few different Nikon scopes and been happy with them. Clarity is great, BDC works for me on my 30-06 tika t3 lite. Never had any zeroing issues and I have taken, goats, deer and pig from 300 yards and closer. Good scopes just find what you like. I use a 3-9x40. I had a 4.5-14x44 but I sold it with a gun it was on. When I was working at Turners many years ago I was comparing the glass on similar priced scopes, nikon had the best clarity side by side. If I recall I was looking at Leopold and maybe another company. Scope was $500 or so and serves my purposes. Good luck with your search. 

SXS,

I have a Nikon Monarch 3-12X44 on my bushmaster 308 and i love it. never actually range tested for 1 MOA but from the factory ammo and shooting i have done i would not think it was over 1 MOA. as for the glass it is really clear for the price i paid (around 350 IIRC)

here she is:

photo7.jpg

unfortunately with new CA laws i need to go to the featureless or register as a AW( which i dont want to do) so she will probably look different here soon.

Leupold is a decent product, but way overpriced for what it is. Nikon has god glass, but Vortex is as good, or better, and can be constantly found for amazing deals. I just received my Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 yesterday, $259 to the door. And the less magnified Viper line can be found for even less. 

Make sure you look at the Nikon BDC before you buy it. I have both a mil-dot and a BDC in 4-12, and the BDC fils your view with black, bubbly dots. Kind of distracting. The mil-dot not so. 

These are currently two good sale deals on their Viper line you would be hard pressed to beat 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/optics/riflescopes|/pc/104792580/c/104752080/sc/104535180/vortex-174-viper-174-1-riflescopes/940270.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Friflescopes%2Fvortex%2F_%2FN-1100246%2B4294749857%2FNe-4294749857%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/optics/riflescopes|/pc/104792580/c/104752080/sc/104535180/vortex-reg-viper-reg-hs-30mm-riflescopes/1394449.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Friflescopes%2Fvortex%2F_%2FN-1100246%2B4294749857%2FNe-4294749857%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

I am sure Vortex will give you more magnification for the money then Leopold but you can expect your zero to be on with Leopold.....:o

It won't give more magnification, unless you buy it that way. Too many meds??? Lol The links were for 4-12 and 3-9 power. 

As for zero being on, I would have disagree about that one, sorry. They are not the same company they were. Not even close. And I have personally had a Leupold that would not move the reticle no matter how you turned it, and that was straight out of the box! First, last, and only time I will touch one. 

The Leupold warranty is a very strong push, but Vortex has the same warranty, and was the first to put it in writing. There is a reason they are dominating the market these days ;)

SXS, to answer your question about the vx6 you're considering, one of my deer hunting buddies has a vx6 2-12x42 on his 300 win mag and he absolutely loves it especially the clarity because he has poor vision. I personally don't own any vx6 scopes because of the price being in excess of $1k. You can get the vx3 4.5-14 which is what I have for my 270 and 223 with almost just as good clarity for half the price of a vx6. However, if you don't mind spending the extra money then I don't think you can go wrong with a vx6 scope. I wish you all the best in choosing your new scope.

11 hours ago, Bisley said:

It won't give more magnification, unless you buy it that way. Too many meds??? Lol The links were for 4-12 and 3-9 power. 

As for zero being on, I would have disagree about that one, sorry. They are not the same company they were. Not even close. And I have personally had a Leupold that would not move the reticle no matter how you turned it, and that was straight out of the box! First, last, and only time I will touch one. 

The Leupold warranty is a very strong push, but Vortex has the same warranty, and was the first to put it in writing. There is a reason they are dominating the market these days ;)

For the price is what I mean't big price difference ...