So as I posted in another topic I had been looking for a new GPS. I ended up going with the Garmin GPSMAP. I got a hellava a deal on the high end model, and so far it works great! However, in all my searching I came across another extremely helpful GPS tool. I did a search on here and couldn't find anything about it, so I thought I'd do a quick basic write up on it.

It's called "Hunt" by a company called OnXMaps, I posted a link to their website below. Basically it's a chip you insert in your GPS and it automatically loads onto the map showing you what land is privately, owned by national park, BLM, forest service, military, and so on. It will even tell me the name of the owner on the private land. On the map it makes everything color coded depending on who owns it. Another feature it has which is state specific is that it puts the boundary for each fish and game hunt zone so you can hunt where ever without worrying about straying into a zone you don't have a tag for. For $100 you get a SD chip and a MicroSD chip. One that can be inserted in your computer, and the other that is inserted in your GPS if it has a slot for one of these chips. If your like me and have no access to private hunting/shooting land this is a great tool to have in your bag.

Now I know some people would say "well I use BLM maps that show me the same thing" which is pretty much true. That's what I was using before I bought this, and I still carry them with me just in case. This program just applies those maps to your GPS, and makes things a little quicker, easier, and more convenient. I haven't used it for this yet, but I gotta think this would make hunting a new area where you don't know what is what a lot easier as well. Anyway, just a cool little tool I thought I'd share with everyone.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

I think you will find that you can only use Garmin maps in a Garmin unit.

I have a rhino 130 but only Garmin updates, and the same with my Garmin

Fish Finder, gps, plotter for my boat.

Tom

I think you will find that you can only use Garmin maps in a Garmin unit.

I have a rhino 130 but only Garmin updates, and the same with my Garmin

Fish Finder, gps, plotter for my boat.

Tom

Negative Tom,

I've got a Garmin Rhino 530HCX & I've been using this map chip from gpsmaps.com for years with no issue.

Lee

I also have the hunt onxmaps loaded into my gps and it works great. Even found a couple new hunting spots because of it :D

I guess I stand corrected.

I will try other cards in my Garmin fish finder,

but I was told that the other brands would not work on Garmin.

Tom

I recently subscribed to onxhunt as well.  It's the basic membership for my phone and seems to work well.  It is showing my location within a few feet based on a survey ginney I found.  I searched online to find a promotional code for a 15% discount.  No complaints with the app on my phone at all.  It is also on my computer but the current location is shown as the local cell tower.

Does the subscription include updates from time to time...mostly concerned with private land boundaries shifting?

If no cell tower is within reach can you download a map section before your trip?

I'm not sure on the updates but for the most part public v private land doesn't really shift much.  Sure there will be change of ownership of private land but the boundries tend to stay the same.  I've been in this house since the end of July and it still lists the previous owner.  It will be interesting to see when/if it changes. 

No cell service is needed out in the field.  You just download the map onto your phone and use it off line.  The gps aspect of the app continues to work regardless of cell coverage.  There is a list of different overlays to choose from for an additional charge.

Ok Microtus...ya sold me. You're right, ownership change is a non-impact as long as private/public lines are clear to see.

And map availability without cell coverage makes this a winner.

It's an unfortunate necessity in California as there are both small land holdings in the middle of state and federal land plus some really huge ranches that have discovered they can charge for trespass permits and therefore are not so willing to share minor intrusions across un-fenced boundaries as in years gone by. I suppose it is that way most places now.

We also have a ton of timber country up here where the two main company owners (talking hundreds of thousands of acres) allow access on their roads and land for outdoor recreation but usually close all access when bigger fires are in the area...understandably, but theirs is also a patchwork in and around state and fed holdings. Anyway I went with the single state map to get a feel for the program. For that cost it's a cheap insurance and I have found it is an amazing stress relief to know 'I'm okay' where I am. The upgrade to all states will most likely happen..planning an out of state elk hunt (private ranch) and antelope on public land in 2019 and this looks like a great scouting tool as well as boots on the ground help. Along with a paper topo it is a good package. It's a real drag sometimes being a strict rule follower but it's what I do so thanks for the heads-up about OnX.

Just sayin'...there's a 30% off deal today only.