Air Rifle Hunter

E-Calling: What's Legal in California?

I've been scouring the regulations in reference to the use of electronic calls and what animals are legal to call in while hunting with the use of an e-caller.

The following are the ones that are specifically listed that I've found in the regulations:

Coyotes, Bobcats, American Crows and Starlings.

I take it that if I wanted to call in a Grey Fox, Racoon or other type of furbearning mammal I would need to use a hand/mouth call instead? Would that be a correct interpretation of the California Hunting Regulations for mammals?

I want to take a minute to also thank everyone here for the continual assistance you provide as I ask questions and receive answers and information from you all. :1rock1oo: There is always so much to learn and keep up to date with.

I feel like these last 3 years since I first started my venture into hunting, have been a continual up-hill learning process. It seems like only a few months ago, even though it is close to 3 years now, I was only hunting with air rifles and my biggest hurdle was to bring home a cottontail or jack rabbit. Then it was an attempt at turkey hunting with an air rifle (that one failed though :( and I need to get back out there again). Then it was quail and Eurasian Collard-Dove with an air rifle. Then last season got my .30-06 and I tried wild pig hunting. This season I attempted my first deer season, purchased and learned to shoot my shotgun, went dove and waterfowl hunting (and I intend to go again and finally bring home a few quackers or honkers) and now I'm going to enter the realm of predator hunting. I have to say that for a new hunter there is an immense learning curve and vast amount of legal verbage to internalize and store. However, it is one of the most enjoyable activities I've ever participated in. It keeps me active and puts some meat on the table. :good:

ARH,

I feel your pain...I'm not a veteran hunter, I have been around hunting most of my life but have been making this my main hobby the past few years. I also want to thank all the good fellas here on CPC that have helped out!

I am happy to see you pursue hunting with the vigor,

and interest that you have shown over the last few years.

A lot of people grab a gun and go after game without any knowledge of what they are doing.

kudos to you, keep it up.

Tom

The more you learn in the hunting world the more addicting it becomes. You will soon find that you always need/want more toys.

Yeah. I think it too late for me. I'm a goner for sure. ;)

Good thing you don't know anybody that is an enabler :smiley-outta-here:

I am happy to see you pursue hunting with the vigor,

and interest that you have shown over the last few years.

A lot of people grab a gun and go after game without any knowledge of what they are doing.

kudos to you, keep it up.

Tom

You really have to be around him (and "the other" Bob, T2T) to truly understand just how much these guys earn everything they get. Two of the finest examples of sportsman you will ever get the pleasure of meeting.

Now, quit fretting it and go be that little girl of your's hero by making it happen :good:

Thanks Tom and Bisley for the kind words. And as far as enablers go... :lol:

My daughter and I went out Saturday morning very early (at dawn). And wouldn't you know it, now that deer season is over not a minute or two after we drive into the huntable area a 3x3 buck crosses the road about 40 yards in front of my truck and trots off into the brush. My daughter was thrilled because she said it was the very first deer she had ever seen in person (not in a zoo or on tv). She thought it was really cool :). Hopefully he'll make it through the off season and be there for next deer season ;).

We tried to set up for coyote calling, but were foiled both by the wind and cars/trucks driving right through in the only areas we could realistically set up while my daughter was with me (due to the dense brush in the area). That kind of ruined the set ups, but additonally the wind was howling at 20 to 25 plus miles an hour out there. I'd even venture to say it was 30 to 35 at times in the flatter areas and on the ridges and peaks of the hills (on our way home the wind gusts hit so hard that it pushed my Tacoma a few times pretty hard).

After the failed coyote calling attempts I exchanged the .223 for the 12ga. and we took off hiking to try to get some bunnies or jacks. The rabbits didn't want to come out to play though. I didn't see one cottontail, and I typically see quite a few. I did get two shots off at a jack, but missed both somehow (probably because it was at least 50 yards out and my #6 shot was firing at 1300FPS and not the 1475FPS like my other loads). I figured I'd be the one dragging along (being the older, out of shape guy), but my daughter was dragging like the walking dead (she even had one foot sideways like a typical zombie walker :D) with all of the hiking we did. She was a trooper though. Later after we were home for a while my wife told me that our daugher said she had allot of fun and told her about the animals she was excited to see. It was nice to hear that she had a good time and wants to go again. She thought the E-Caller was totally cool and loved hearing the coyote sounds. Her new gear (camo clothes and boots) worked awesome too (she loves the boots :) and says they are super comfortable).

I'm hoping to take her out again, perhaps sometime during the winter break. Maybe next time we'll get a day with less wind and more critters :).

Outstanding, keep after them and keep that girl of yours out with you she will make you a fine hunting partner when the time comes for her to start shooting.

I know it’s an old topic, but back to the original question:

§475b states this about e calls for hunting “nongame”

“Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.”

pretty clear that in regards to nongame, you can’t use e calls for anything EXCEPT coyotes, bobcats, crows and starlings.  it states “any nongame bird or NONGAME mammal...” so wouldn’t this put an umbrella over only nongame species? And by that reasoning, one would believe “big game” fell under its own category with its own set of regulations. 

I did extensive reading of the regulations on the “§353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.” And nothing was mentioned about e calls. Nothing. Not even that it’s specifically prohibited. 

So correct me if I’m wrong here, you should be good (based on the current wording on the regulations) to call and hunt big game on e calls.

Unless there’s something I’ve missed... that’s where you guys come in haha.

I believe it falls under this section 

Subdividion 2

Chapter 1 

§251.9. Computer Assisted Remote Hunting. 

(a) It is unlawful to take or assist in the taking of any bird or mammal in or from this state, by computer-assisted remote hunting. (b) It is unlawful to establish or operate a computer-assisted remote hunting site for the purpose of taking any bird or mammal from or within this state. (c) For the purposes of this section, "computer-assisted remote hunting" means the use of a computer or any other remotely controlled device, equipment, software, or technology, to remotely control the aiming or discharge of any weapon, including, but not limited to, any firearm, bow and arrow, spear, harpoon or any other weapon capable of killing or injuring any bird or mammal, for the purposes of taking any bird or mammal. "computer-assisted remote hunting site" means any computer, internet site or web-based device or system, or other electronically operated site or system used to assist in the remote taking of any bird or mammal.

The last sentence takes it out of just aiming and discharging by incapsulating all assisted taking of GAME.  

Just my interpretation

This section is all about a company several years back in Texas I believe where they had a rifle mounted to a pod of some kind that was electronically controlled and had a camera on the scope. A hunter from say CA could use the mouse on their computer to aim the device that was set up by a feeder. The out of stater could then shoot these pigs I believe from CA without ever even being in Texas. It was supposedly so those with disabilities could hunt, but it was a gimmick & a lie. That is what that whole section is dedicated too.

I didn’t know there was an actual case about it but I pretty much deciphered it as a remote controlled or computer controlled firearm. So as of now, we still haven’t found anything that states it’s prohibited. I’m going to call DFG later and I’ll update everyone. 

Here, this is the whole reason why that particular section is in the regs. Damn, I don't remember it being over ten years ago though! Now I feel even older :504:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/mike-schoby/2007/09/remote-control-hunting

Sorry for the lag, I Just got a call back from the game warden. She said on the new regulations, they haven’t been printing it, but on the old ones, section 3012 states you cannot hunt big game with an electronic call. That’s why I wasn’t able to find anything in the current regulations on it. She said even she had a really hard time finding it in writing but knew it was illegal. She said she wanted to give me the section number so it wouldn't just be illegal because she said so haha. 

Just to show you how bad the regulations are to understand or to find this is a pet peeve of mine.  I have been trying to get this regulation rewritten for decades.  Read the bold section regarding Interstate 880.  This section of highway was renamed Interstate 80 way back in 1983!  I think 35 years is long enough to have such a glaring error in the regulations.

§264. Use of Lights While Hunting--Specific Areas.

• (a) Lights of any size or voltage may be used to take furbearing or nongame mammals only in the areas described in subsections (b) and (c) below, and only under the following conditions:
    • (1) The use of lights for night hunting is prohibited in any area where the general deer season is open.
    • (2) Furbearing mammals and nongame mammals may be taken with the aid of a spotlight or other artificial light operated from a vehicle provided such vehicle is stopped and standing with the motor off. No spotlight may be used from a vehicle which is on a public road or highway.
  • (b) Zone 1. (Portions of Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, Tehama, Yolo and Yuba counties.)
    Area: Within the boundary beginning at the junction of Interstate 880 and Interstate 5 near Sacramento; east on Interstate 880 to its junction with Interstate 80; north and east on Interstate 80 to its junction with Highway 65 near Roseville, along Highway 65 to its junction with Highway 20 at Marysville; west on Highway 20 to its junction with Highway 45; north on Highway 45 to its junction with Highway 162; east on Highway 162 to its junction with Highway 99; north on Highway 99 to South Avenue near the town of Corning; west on South Avenue to Interstate 5 in Corning; north on Interstate 5 to Corning Road; west on Corning Road to Paskenta Road; west on the Paskenta Road to the town of Paskenta; southwest on the Round Valley Road to the Garland Road; south on the Garland Road to the town of Newville; south on the Newville-Elk Creek Road to the town of Elk Creek; south on the Elk Creek-Stonyford Road to the town of Stonyford; south on the Stonyford-Leesville Road to the town of Ladoga; south on the Stonyford-Leesville Road to the town of Leesville; south from Leesville on the Bear Valley Road to its intersection with Highway 20; east on Highway 20 to its intersection with Highway 16; south and east on Highway 16 to its intersection with Interstate 5; east on Interstate 5 to Interstate 880 and the point of beginning.

Air Rifle Hunter, You know that you can indeed call up deer with a mouth blown call. Over the years I have called in many a deer.If you get tired of sitting and waiting, get on that call and see what you either spook and cause them to take off or call them in. Doesn't work all the time but you will be surprised at what that  call will do. Making it more drawn out and like a bleat has worked best for me. And this has worked for whitetail, blacktail and mule deer. Good luck and keep that girl of yours with you.They remember it for a lifetime and as my daughter does,takes me on hunting trips with her as an adult.