casey.martin2506

Pig Hunt ..need help

35 posts in this topic

Last pig hunt I went on, I carried my .243. I never got a shot with it. But my friend got a shot on one with a .270, it was a long shot around 75-100 yards in the gut. We had to track it for about an hour and found it laying on some brush. I had a 22mag on my hip, and I was the only one with a sidearm. Needless to say - my buddy talked me into being the one to go up to it. I poked it with my right foot and it found enough energy to lurch up, squeal and attempt to charge me before I let the .22mag off in his head. I was worried it would ricochet off his skull. It didn't.

Be advised that Tejon Ranch has just signed an agreement with the enviro's to ban the use of lead bullets for all hunting on the ranch. I hope that you have a Barnes load worked up.

darn those enviros!!! don't they know that even a lead bullet into a nice boar shoulder through the armor and bone rarely exist the pig? I shoot a .270win for pig and use a 150 grain standard winchester or remington load. My buddy who guides either uses his .454 pistol or 7mm. The boar I shot today (180lbs) shoulder/lung shot I was able to retreive the slug in the exit shoulder - this was 175yd shot...last week my buddy shot a 200lb boar with his 7mm and same thing...nice sized pigs (boars) through the front 3rd of teh body have a body armor that is tough to penetrate all the way through...gotta hit them right on entry and make sure you take out the lungs...forget an exit!

Mac thanks for the good report on the 270 hog kill .I shoot a 270 and didn't no how it would perform on Armour hogs like that. nice hog by the way.......

Wow, I'm surprized your 150s didn't make it through. I shot my hog with a 130gr ballistic tip ( I was deer/coyote hunting at the time he showed up) and it managed to exit. Maybee mine was a fluke.

Wow, I'm surprized your 150s didn't make it through. I shot my hog with a 130gr ballistic tip ( I was deer/coyote hunting at the time he showed up) and it managed to exit. Maybee mine was a fluke.
Your whole pig was a fluke. A fluke that he was there, a fluke that you had your .270wsm instead of the .223, a fluke that the ballistic tip not only knocked him down but killed him fairly quickly, and a fluke that the week before we went and bought pig tags "just in case" (among other things)... Needless to say, I think someone was smiling down on you that day. :D Now if only the pig gods could send a blessing in my direction!!! :blink:

Mac thanks for the good report on the 270 hog kill .I shoot a 270 and didn't no how it would perform on Armour hogs like that. nice hog by the way.......
Thanks Shoot-it -Standard load..Winchester...the rancher who owns the land I hunt on has used a .270 for many, many years. Great for distance shots and good for tight cover. Down in Hollister area, early morning, I typically glass for hogs coming off the open ridges back into their beds. If I can take a 200-300yd shot at a trophy boar before it hit's tight cover I'll take it and the .270 works very well for that. After they get into their beds...it's always good to bust them in the brush (they like thick sage with open spots to sun during the day) and have guys able to hit them on the run in quick open spots.
Your whole pig was a fluke. A fluke that he was there, a fluke that you had your .270wsm instead of the .223, a fluke that the ballistic tip not only knocked him down but killed him fairly quickly, and a fluke that the week before we went and bought pig tags "just in case" (among other things)... Needless to say, I think someone was smiling down on you that day. :D Now if only the pig gods could send a blessing in my direction!!! :blink:
haha!...you guys are too much! I hit bone on bone and I think the angle entry had a bit to do with it, because right under the exit area (pierced but not exited) the slug was actually turned around 180 degrees...probably throgh the ball joint of the shoulder it must have bounce around a bit.

Your whole pig was a fluke. A fluke that he was there, a fluke that you had your .270wsm instead of the .223, a fluke that........BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH :blink::D:D:D:lol:
You know me, always be prepared B) The funny part was that I took my Sharps just in case we ran across a hog because I wasn't to sure about shooting one with a 130 ballistic tip and wouldn't you know it, not thirty minuits after I cased the buffalo cannon there's a hog just itchin' to move into my living room.
..probably throgh the ball joint of the shoulder it must have bounce around a bit.
Yeah,that's a mean piece of bone right there and definitley explains why it didn't exit.

The funny part was that I took my Sharps just in case we ran across a hog because I wasn't to sure about shooting one with a 130 ballistic tip and wouldn't you know it, not thirty minuits after I cased the buffalo cannon there's a hog just itchin' to move into my living room.
I would have LOVED to seen what that big ol' .45-110 would have done to that pig! :blink: You just keep that gun nice and oiled and ready for an out-of-state elk hunt later this year... :D

...... just keep that gun nice and oiled and ready for an out-of-state elk hunt later this year... ;)
How sweet is that gonna be?! I was thinking,......... I'll probably never be able to afford to go on a safari so maybee when I come up to Oregon we could stop at the home depot so I can hire a few guys ;) to carry our rifles and a set of those huge shooting sticks :lol::(:lol::lol::lol: .... It'd be fun to have someone else do the dragging once the critter's on the ground. :D