easydoesit

felon / air guns & air rifles , hunting / hunting license ?

i am a felon.. got into alot of trouble years ago .. havent been in trouble since. was never on parole. discharged my number behind the walls. did all my time. paid my debt to society and still am today. but thats ok. i made a bad choice and i admit its my own fault. dont blame anyone.. it is what it is...

so as a felon i can not own or have in my possession or discharge any type of firearm ...

my first question is as a felon can i own and operate an air rifle , bb gun etc.. but mainly a high power air rifle , cross bow ?

my second question is if i can own and operate have an air rifle and or cross bow , can i obtain a hunting license ?

my third question is if i can do all of thee above , where may i acquire a hunting license and what would the cost be ?

i am just looking for a hobby.. legal of course.. maybe go hunting cotton tail, jack rabbits etc .... take my daughter along and have a good time.. teach her proper handling of a weapon as well as safety...

i appreciate any feed back.. thank you

Hi there. I would start with a call to fish and game and to your local sherrif's office to find out what they say and go from there. I have a family member who is in a similar situation as you, he's not a felon but is barred from firearm ownership. He was told by DFG and the Sherrif California doesn't classify airguns as firearms therefore he is ok to possess and hunt all legal game in California. Airgunners are pretty lucky in California, the laws are pretty good and we are able to hunt a wide variety of game here that many other states don't allow. Read up on the regs and talk to your local leo but I think you should be ok.

"State statutes and/or local ordinances prohibit the sale and possession of air guns, CO2 guns and slingshots in some areas such as San Francisco CA, Chicago IL, Morton Grove IL, Buffalo NY, Philadelphia PA, New Jersey, Washington DC, Bronx NY, Brooklyn NY, Long Island City NY, Manhattan NY, Queens NY, New York City NY, and Staten Island NY. Persons in New Jersey need a permit for any air gun. Michigan residents- .177 cal air rifles and smooth bore (bb only) air pistols are allowed. All other airguns are restricted and we cannot ship them to your area. Air Soft guns are restricted in San Francisco CA, Chicago IL, Morton Grove IL, Buffalo NY, Philadelphia PA, Bronx NY, Brooklyn NY, Long Island City NY, Manhattan NY, Queens NY, New York City NY.

In most states other than the above places a felon may have a bb gun, air gun or gas gun so long as state statutes do not include such guns in it's definition of a firearm. In fact, some states such as North Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee and others allow felons to own firearms with the exception of handguns."

You should start here http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

thank you karl

Hi there. I would start with a call to fish and game and to your local sherrif's office to find out what they say and go from there. I have a family member who is in a similar situation as you, he's not a felon but is barred from firearm ownership. He was told by DFG and the Sherrif California doesn't classify airguns as firearms therefore he is ok to possess and hunt all legal game in California. Airgunners are pretty lucky in California, the laws are pretty good and we are able to hunt a wide variety of game here that many other states don't allow. Read up on the regs and talk to your local leo but I think you should be ok.

thank you havoc.... i was doing alot of research... and looks like you are right.... appreciate the input... i will look up the regs and get a hunting license soon... and get a rifle ... thanx again... happy hunting

thanx crazyhorse.... looks like im free and clear... im in san bernardino county... did some research and california doesnt classify air guns / cross bows as fire arms ...... now the delema of picking out my first air rifle... hmmm .. break barrel maybe ? or pcp ?

You will have to take a hunter safety course and pass before you can get your hunting license.

http://www.sdhuntersafety.com/

thanx cbr400r....

didnt know that... will look into it.. studay and take it from there ..... appreciate all the info

Air rifles are not classified as firearms in the state of California, that is why they were exempted from the non-lead ammo law.