Hylander

Making my own Remote E-Caller, Need MP3 Player ?

47 posts in this topic

O.K.:I have desided to make my own Caller:blink: , Fox Pro's are out of my Budget ;) And I like to Tinker :D I'm going to use a Nady 151 or 351 wireless Mic system.My question is:What is a good brand of MP3 Player that won't brake the bank,I don't want to spend more than say $60.00, it dosn't have to have a gazillion bytesof memory as it will only be holding Critter sounds.

Hylander, I don't have any experience with many of the MP3 players, but I did notice there are tons of them on sale this week. Alot around 40-50 bucks. If kids can run around with them playing all the time and they last for a while I would imagine that if you were just a little bit careful with it in the field it should do nicely. Let us know how it works. I too like the idea of an ecaller that doesnt break the bank!Scott

Well I checked Wally World:For $40.00 they have an RCA with 128meg Mem, plus SD slot for expansion.I'll probably go with that one.

Hylander those wireless mics...are they the speakers?? And what kid of range from the MP3 can you get? Im getting more and more intrigued. Scott

CoolVarmint:The wireless Mic is actually two Parts.The Transmitter which you plug into the MP3 Player,and Receiver which you plug into an Extenal Speaker.The average range for the remote use will be aprox 100-150 ft.Here is a pic of someone elses, this one is installed in a Flashlight case:ecaller2.jpgHomemadeecaller.jpg

Hylander, that is a very trick set up. About how much do you figure you will have in it with the speaker, mic and MP3?? I think it might be a little easier to sell the wife on this that 400++ for a FoxPro. Especially since she is already tired of my practicing calling on the front porch :rolleyes: Scott

CoolVarmint:Aproximate Cost:MP3 = 40.00Wireless Mic = $80.00Speaker = $15.00Flashlight = $10.00Sounds downloaded from the Net = $.0Total = $145.00 :rolleyes: For me this seems the way to go, I would love a Fox Pro.But this is much more in my Budget.I have already started down loading sounds from the Net.

I think it might be a little easier to sell the wife on this that 400++ for a FoxPro. Especially since she is already tired of my practicing calling on the front porch :rolleyes:
But the neighbors and their dogs love you though right? :)

I was just wondering out loud but would that wireless mic work with the cheap FoxPro. I forgot the number but its $149 one, 8 sound no remote. But then I guess you'll get alot more on the MP3 player. The only advantage might be the FP can download different formats. Also Hylander where did you get that mic setup? I like the idea of building my own just to say I did :rolleyes: . And yes the neighbors love hearing me, although I've yet to hear a shot fired to get rid of me :) , I guess when I hear that I'll know my calling is getting there!Scott

Not sure how you would make it work with an FP.You get alot more sounds on an MP3, and you can format your sounds on the computer to what ever format you want. Some MP3's play several formatsHere is one place to get the Mic setup151 VR-LT or 351 VR-LTGet MP3 here

Hylander, I recently purchased a used Foxpro for $150 shipped. I underbid a bunch of units in the PM classifieds section and finally got a 416B which is the camo 16-sound unit. It doesn't have a remote control, but it does have a Foxpro external speaker with 60 ft of cord. It also came with the PS-G programming adaptor, and I can download any 16 Foxpro sounds for $20(or any other souinds) and program the unit to my taste. Just pointing out that if you look around you can get a used Foxpro for about the same price as a homemade caller.

Looks like the wireless mic is what's driving up the cost. How feasable would it be to just use wire? The wire setup would not be as pretty, but it would make it simpler to build and definately a lot less inexpensive.

Just noticed on FP website they have tons of refurbed units with full warranty. Several 416 for $150-200
Those are a good dealBut they aren't remote

Sounds downloaded from the Net = $.0I have already started down loading sounds from the Net.
Hello,I am also interested in building one rather than buying one. To save $ and to make it custom and I also like to tinker. where have you been able to find sounds online? I tried a search on morpheus, coyote, distress, rabbit etc. but didn't find any. Would like to find some. I have a mini "boom box" CD player with a remote control that I could camo up and be done with it? I'll have to check the range on the remote?thanks,

Hylander - "Without the wireless Mic you would need an Amp and usually an amp is more than a wireless Mic".The mic is idea is better, I never thought about the need for an amp. Thanks!

Hello,I am also interested in building one rather than buying one. To save $ and to make it custom and I also like to tinker. where have you been able to find sounds online? I tried a search on morpheus, coyote, distress, rabbit etc. but didn't find any. Would like to find some. I have a mini "boom box" CD player with a remote control that I could camo up and be done with it? I'll have to check the range on the remote?thanks,
Wow, a mini boom box with remote! I don't think you could any more simpler than that :lol:

ForkedHorn, A boom box is a cool idea. How's the sound outside?? Seems like a cheap no brainer option. My kinda option :unsure: Let me know how it sounds Scott

My broadcast grade wireless mics work at well over a thousand feet so it depends on frequency range and power output.

I wonder how well the remote will work at a distance.Say 100ft. and beyond
I haven't tried the remote on the boom box yet, but I don't think that I'll get a very far range out of it. Even 20 feet would be better than in my lap though! :unsure: It is an IR remote. I will put brand new batt's in it and see how far I can get it to go line of site. I need to look online for a smaller more compact CD player with an RF remote. The RF might work better? farther? and doesn't have to be line of site.