Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HOG

40g. .223 Blue Dot

6 posts in this topic

Think I'm falling in love again. Several of you have mentioned this combination, I'm a believer.

I made the trip to Sacramento Valley Shooting Center. This load works best in my Contender with a 23" barrel and a Simons 6x18x40. I know cheap glass. I took off the Leupold 3x9x40. I just wanted more power and had the scope.

I would not recommend this load without working up loads and checking for pressure signs.

I was looking for a reduced noise and muzzle jump. I also rigged a diving weight to the front sling attachment that added 4.75 lbs. I can see each bullet hit/squirrel hits. We'll see how it improves the video blur out I was getting.

I got the best accuracy and velocity with 12.0 g. Blue Dot.

I loaded again form 11.2g. Blue Dot average= 2762FPS. 11.4g. Blue Dot average=2866 FPS.

11.6 g. Blue Dot average= 2963 11.8 g. 2963 FPS no change ???? 12.0g. Blue Dot = 3030 FPS.

By the way did I mention I dislike pulling a shot or flyers.

3 shot group = .399 @ 100 yards 12 g. Blue Dot

3shotgroup.jpg

5 shot group .703 @ 100 yards 12 g. Blue Dot

5shotgroup.jpg

10 shot group = 1.075 at 100 yards. 12 g. Blue Dot. (eliminate the flyers, this was a .766 ten shot group)

10shotgroup.jpg

So I guess that makes your new goal 0.500

Good shooting

Tom

The goal is not to shoot smaller but to dissect ground squirrels at 150-200 yards in the orchards. I doubt I'll go back to the paper. All the shooting I do is what I consider snap shooting. That squirrel isn't going to pause and model for me. It's about put the crosshairs on it and touch it off.

i went to the cci 450 primers. made one hole groups and a little bit more velocity without any more noise. I like that blue dot . I am trying it in the 357 sig with 147 gr. bullets. Velocity is very consistant.