Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HOG

40g. .223

16 posts in this topic

I did a lot of preparation to go to the Sac. Valley Shooting Center today. I was looking at the new .17 Hornet by Hornady but instead looked into the 40g. Hornady loaded with Blue Dot. I packed the Contender in .223, 17HMR and 7mm TCU, the .204 Savage Mach ll and pistols in 9mm and .22. All total I spent 4 hours on the bench.Great way to spend the morning. The only thing I forgot was the tripod for the chrony. Good reason to go back.

The reason for working up the loads for the .223 using Blue Dot, I want a round I can use in the orchards and not make a lot of noise. I really think this is it. Very little muzzle jump much less "bang" and good accuracy. I was a little disappointed in my groups with the .204. The 17 HMR shined and the .223 Blue Dot was very good. The 17's were shot at 50 yards and others at 100.

In looking at the brass I could see no indicators of excessive pressure. Primers were not pushed out nor cratered, no splitting of case necks. The things I liked best, reduced muzzle jump, much reduced sound and good accuracy.

17 HMR at 50 yards.

17HMR.jpg

40 g. Nosler with Blue Dot. (BTW this was the maximum load recommended) Note the happy face with drool......

40g223.jpgprimers all look OK. Light loads on rt. max on left.

casings-1.jpg

It's a good load using the blue dot. Does the job on the critters and the noise level is much reduced.

Shooter john got me going on those blue dot loads. There great! I tipped a big boar over with one, dropped like it was hit with a howitzer. About half the noise as a regular load.2533 fps with a 55 grain bullet

EHD, I didn't realize a Blue Dot load for a .223 55-grainer would run that fast. 2533 is a good speed without all the noise. I'll have to try that. How loud is it compared to a .22 WMR?

what twist should should one have for a 40grainer 223? 1:12? Or slower?

I shoot 40's out of a 1-8 twist with no problem and they are at max load.I have read they will come apart maybe with the 22-250 but with the 223 they haven't.

I want to try some of those blue dot loads to.

So what load with the blue dot did you end up with?

I load the blue dot with 12.0 with a 55 berger and cci 450 primer. 2533 fps. Sounds like a hot 22 mag.

Cool, thanks. Is it mandatory to use small rifle magnum primers or will a standard CCI 400 small rifle primer be sufficient?

Standard primers work just as good. I got about 50-75 fps more velocity with the mag primers. I went up to 13 grains in the 40 gr. v- max , 3000 fps velocity

I think the TC in a 1 in 12 twist rate. I'm counting on the 40g. to give me lots of explosive impact and low enough muzzle lift to use the video. We'll see. I'm calling the orchard owner to make sure today is a good day to shoot.

I was just curious because my rem 700 sps varmint is a 1:12. I know its made for lighter loads. Personally I want to try some heavier rounds

I shoot 55s with great accuracy in my lvsf. I would think you can go up to 60 in a 1-12. There is more knowlagable folks than me that could tell you for sure