Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BCF

Soft top shell

12 posts in this topic

http://www.softopper.com/?gclid=CMWBr-vDvbMCFe57QgodKCIAvQ

Don't know if you guys have ever seen these. I saw one on the road yesterday and it got my attention. I thought it looked real nice.

I have been wanting a camper shell to sleep in mainly and to store stuff, but I also ride dirt-bikes and kayak a lot, so this looks like a good solution since you can just fold it down and out of the way, or remove it quick and easy.

My only problem is it costs over $700 with a protective cover, and that seems like a lot for some canvas and aluminum tubing. I'm also concerned with how long the canvas would last.

Anyhow, thought you guys might like to see this. I never had a shell on any truck I've owned. I've been contemplating getting one for over a year. I'm slow to make purchases but thinking I should just pull the trigger.

post-7181-0-73496200-1352314929_thumb.jp

post-7181-0-90497400-1352314939_thumb.jp

Here's the protective cover I was talking about.

post-7181-0-19038700-1352315011_thumb.jp

They are fantastic products. A lot of folks in my wheeling club have them on their Tacomas. A few also on Dodge Rams. They truly are worth every penny and not a shoddy product. Also, if you're lucky and not in a hurry, you can sometimes find them used for half(ish) price.

Years ago I was looking into getting a Can-Back top. They are sturdier than that one (can put a rack on top of them), but dont fold out of the way. The Can-Back was only about $800 when I was looking at them, now they are $1200+

Years ago, the canvas "shells' were all we had. This is a lot of years ago, like 50 or so. they were great. i hve the hard top now and it's great, but as your ad says, it's difficult to remove like if I want to transort my ATV. I didn't know they still made these soft tops so I may have to look into one. Thanks for posting it.

That brings back memories Braz. My dad with the little help I provided built our camper shell for our 53 Chevy pickup. He made it out of plywood and we covered it in fiberglass. That was just over 50 years ago and I thought it was so cool!

Why not just get one of those tents for the back of the truck, those are a lot cheaper and no more of a PITA than that thing.

When we had the get together in the deseret a few years ago, Bruce had one. Looked pretty nice actually.

and to store stuff,

You dont want to store anything of any value in the back of your truck. A canvas top is not the most secure way of storing things.

Those truck bed tents like Ron mentioned are pretty cool

Yeah, I was also looking into those tents too. Never tried one. Are they as fast and easy to setup and put away? If they are, then maybe that would be a good option. I'm looking for a way to set up quick, sleep, then take off early in the morning without leaving a trace at camp. In the summer, it's no big deal. I just sleep on the ground without a tent and I'm fine. I'm going soft or something, because I don't like freezing anymore in the winter.

I wasn't planning on storing valuables in there for long periods, just mainly camping stuff- but heck, the shell itself is pretty valuable and probably real easy to steal.

I'd definitely rather have a hard shell, but since I use my truck often and need it without a shell for transporting dirtbikes and kayaks, this looks like a possible winner. Glad to hear the feedback that they work well. Thanks.

Hey Dave- it's pretty expensive, but the same company also offers a rack that goes over the canvas shell that looks pretty sturdy. They also sell a tent you can mount on top. Anyhow, this thing is really just something I am looking into for when I hunt alone which is somewhat often. When I go with my son, I always make a nice camp with tent, table, easy-up etc...people would think I bring too much! But, he really enjoys the camping experience, probably more than the hunting, actually.

Still thinking about it. For the money, I could probably get a used hard shell, AND a small trailer for hauling dirtbikes and kayaks.

P.S. I bought a folding camp cot at Walmart yesterday for $50. It's really nice, and damn comfy.

Still thinking about it. For the money, I could probably get a used hard shell, AND a small trailer for hauling dirtbikes and kayaks.

P.S. I bought a folding camp cot at Walmart yesterday for $50. It's really nice, and damn comfy.

Hard shell and a dirtbike trailer might be the way to go. Kayaks can go on top of the shell.

I have one of the $50 coleman cots from WM, works great. I Hate air mattresses, the cot is perfect

Cots are great. Get you off the damp ground. but Remember , they let the air under you so you will get cold from below. Get a pad to put ont he cot to block the cold from coming up from under you. Or lots of newspapers work too.

Cots are great. Get you off the damp ground. but Remember , they let the air under you so you will get cold from below. Get a pad to put ont he cot to block the cold from coming up from under you. Or lots of newspapers work too.

If BCF got the same one I did, then it comes with a pad. I have slept just fine on a 30deg night with a good sleeping bag on this cot

http://www.walmart.com/ip/20594108?adid=22222222227014969548&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=14069299990&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem