Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HOG

17 Hornet?

12 posts in this topic

Other than Savage working on a production model, has anyone heard of someone having one. I just sent a note to Thompson asking if they are planning on the 17 Hornet. On paper it looks like a great squirrel gun for the orchards.

I have an old wood shop friend that has had a Savage on order since August???? I just hope Thompson comes out with one.

I dont veiw it as just a squirrel shooter. Gary "A17shooter" member here shot a Coyote as I watched at about 80 yds... The Coyote litteraly tipped over! He stretched his legs to the sky and was done! I would not underestimate a fast moving 17 Cal. Centerfire. Not to be confused with a .17HMR ! lol

I would just like to sit at the bench on a walnut orchard and shoot 300 yards rather than change positions. Beyond 150 they don't scatter on the shot.

I've looked at the 17 Remington and love the ballistics but I'm concerned about noise too.

Jesus 900 bucks for something of that small caliber? Sounds a little over priced IMO. I'll check out the ballistics. I was thinking of getting a 17 hmr a few years early for my kids. 1 each.

Are we talking about the 17 Hornady Hornet or the 17 Ackley Hornet? The Hornady is shorter than the wildcat version. Not much difference in velocity. Of course I could dip into my stash of 17 gr 17 caliber Hornady bullets for more velocity.

:good: