Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HOG

smokers

8 posts in this topic

Went salmon fishing yesterday. We launched at Garcia Bend at 5:45 and motored up stream about a mile. Trolling flatfish with a sardine wrap on 2 rods and a spinner on the other. Nothing on the finder so we headed down river. At light 9 I picked up a 25 lb hen on the flatfish. She was dark but I could not turn down the opportunity for roe for a later date, + she was a smoker. We had out barbecue salmon from the lower Klamath in August. Near Clarksburg Chuck hooked and landed a buck longer than my fish but not as girthy. We stopped at 1:00 The roe is cured and vacuum sealed in jars and the salmon cured and in the smoker as I type.

1MEANDSALMON2.jpg

Very nice! I start most of my days with a run on the levee. The last few weeks, it's looked like combat fishing with all the people vying for space!

Sure glad I am not a fisherman lol. When I lived in Sutter County I had friends that fished for salmon and stripers, they use to try and get me to go all the time. I told them I would probably love it but I had enough bad habits at the time, but since I moved up here I have been thinking of taking up fly fishing for trout, lol just thinking about it so far. Congrads on a couple nice ones and what I am sure is a lot of great fun. Ed

The smoker is an excellent way to go with the salmon. They're so big you just can't eat them fast enough and smoking them you can then freeze them.

Nice fish. Those river caught salmon are best smoked IMHO. Fun fishing for them with light gear. Have you ever tried a big Spin an Glow in front of a ball of cured roe? We used to have some success doing that on the Feather. We also had some good results using a smaller spin n glow and roe for steelhead in the slots.

The predominant setups for the area hog was fishing are Silvertons and sardine wrapped Kwikfish. The clearer water of the upper Sac and the Feather Rivers are more conducive to the Spin n glows and Hotshots. Glow tubes are good up the American River.