Desert Fox

Portable Shooting Bench

33 posts in this topic

I've always wanted to build a portable shooting bench. I finally did using materials from scrap steel tubings and black pipe. All I needed is the top and I'm all set. This came out nice and pretty sturdy.

DSC02336.jpg

DSC02333.jpg

DSC02332.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

DF...why 3 legs and not 4?

Rob, Your shooting position is more natural behind the single leg. I copied the design from Stukey.

http://www.shootingbenches.com

Very nice. I like the three legs much better than four. Mine is a lot easier to set up on uneven ground.

Rim, I have up to 2 inch of leg hight adjustment .

DSC02335.jpg

Rob, Your shooting position is more natural behind the single leg. I copied the design from Stukey.

Tripods are more stable as well. Three points of contact don't rock around.

Finished the top today. I will give it a whirl tomorrow.

DSC02339.jpg

DSC02337.jpg

DSC02340.jpg

Picture125.jpg

These are two I built. closest is made from EMT tubing, the one in back is from old folding table legs. although I wish I had made it with three legs, these have been very stable to shoot from. I carry a couple of wooden door stop wedges to level with. I like the carpeting you finished your top with tho. I usually put 25 lbs of sand bags on mine to keep it from wiggling. DR

That is sweet!

Grant,

I have the welders if you want to make one.

Tom

I appreciate thet Tom.. and may take you up on it. Im sure its a heavier stand than what I am used to shooting at squirrels. :good:

How much does it weigh DF? Im sure that the pipe carries some weight. But if it works, the end result is worth it.

Grant, the whole thing weigh probably around 65 to 70 lbs. I will weigh it when I have a chance. I built it as an all around portable shooting bench that can be carried afield and at the same time sturdy enough for extreme long range shooting.

Nice looking table, and a lot cheaper that Stukey's I'm betting.

Yup! Stukey wants $500 for his. Mine did not cost me a dime. These are scrap metal from work that I put together. :yahoo:

Very nice! I love building things with "found objects"! My late grandpa was king at it, I swear that man could make stuff out of nothing. I miss hanging out and welding stuff with him. I made some plate targets out of rebar and old plate steel I found on the side of the road.

I really like your idea! Guess I'll have to make myself one.

Starting making these a few years back. Since I move around a lot when I shoot ground squirrels this is easy to maneuver. My latest project is making a battery powered version.

post-9371-0-70455300-1389311787.jpgpost-9371-0-09465800-1389311834.jpg

The danged picture is so small you can't even really see it.

Graystone, hey I like that! Ed

Thanks Ed, I appreciate that.

I like that, got any kind of plans or instruction you are willing to share? Nice job.

I have generic assembly pictures I'd be happy to share. Spent all afternoon trying to use Photobucket only to get a message that my extension isn't allowed on this site. If you'd like the pictures perhaps I could PM them to you.

The danged picture is so small you can't even really see it.

Got some learnin' to do!

Cool looking platform. A ride around one would be cool.

My "go to" ride around is a Suzuki!