Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lone Wolf

25-06 Remington

21 posts in this topic

I recently was given a 25-06 by a family member. Everybody I have talked to has pretty good things to say about these gun Just wondering what all of you thought? All comments opinions and criticisms are welcome. Im going to be hunting with it this weekend. I have always hunted with a 30-06, and with the research that I have done the 25-06 is the same casing just necked down a little bit for the smaller caliber. And also the area I am hunting is a lead free zone so if any of you had any recommendations on what copper rounds you are using or know that are good I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks to all

25-06 is a great round for Deer. You will love it, and I suspect your 30-06 will see less time in the field as a result haha

Lead Free ammo choices are out there. You will just have to try some out to see what your rifle likes. Doesnt matter what works for someone else, every rifle is different.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/617694/federal-premium-vital-shok-ammunition-25-06-remington-100-grain-barnes-triple-shock-x-bullet-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-20

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/842820/hornady-superformance-ammunition-25-06-remington-90-grain-gilding-metal-expanding-boat-tail-box-of-20

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/369061/nosler-trophy-grade-ammunition-25-06-remington-100-grain-e-tip-lead-free-box-of-20

Just wondering what all of you thought?

I think you have one hexx of a nice family member. And Congrats on getting such a fine caliber & assume (fine) rifle.

Ditto what Dave said above. You will likely find yourself leaving the ole (30) / 06 in the safe. The 25/06 is an excellent round that I owned at least 2 rifles in, if memory serves me right.

As far as bullet choices go, and from the 3 mentioned above, I personally would try the bottom one(Nosler) first and work up.

Good Luck

Ya, definitely excited to get out there and use this one. Asside from being a good caliber its also a very beautiful gun with minimal rounds put through it. I consider myself a lucky man!

Look forward to a report on the new gun. Also some pic's of it. You did not mention make and modle either. Nosey people like to know.

If you don't handload already, start. The .25-06 is a true handloaders cartridge. You can buy factory loads for it to do whatever you need it to do but with they few rifles I've played with, I have found it to be a cartridge that can be very particular about what loads it likes......and you just haven't lived until you've seen what a 75 grain v-max bullet will do to varmints. Lol!

You did not mention make and modle either. Nosey people like to know.

:hellohello9il: Like me! I kept thinking that all the way through reading the posts :lol:

......and you just haven't lived until you've seen what a 75 grain v-max bullet will do to varmints. Lol!

If it's anything like the 75gr V-max out of the .243, you better take a shovel, a sifter, a trash bag, and lots of rags :rofl2:

I have one and if you want some load data and test results for accuracy and group size. I have quite a bit of it. I do not have any non-lead data. I suggest the Barnes or Hornady bullets as they can be pushed faster than the Nosler non-lead. I like nosler bullets but do not understand why they make their bullet without the grooves so they can be pushed faster. With the non-lead bullets they work better the faster you push them. They also act like a bullet 30% heavier than they are. I suggest the 80gr Barnes TTSX. The tipped one as they open faster than the non-tipped ones according to Barnes

I have one and if you want some load data and test results for accuracy and group size. I have quite a bit of it. I do not have any non-lead data. I suggest the Barnes or Hornady bullets as they can be pushed faster than the Nosler non-lead. I like nosler bullets but do not understand why they make their bullet without the grooves so they can be pushed faster. With the non-lead bullets they work better the faster you push them. They also act like a bullet 30% heavier than they are. I suggest the 80gr Barnes TTSX. The tipped one as they open faster than the non-tipped ones according to Barnes

Thanks for your input. I would like to see the data if I could please that would be pretty interesting. And ya the rounds i just bought were the barnes rounds. Not sure of the grain but the guy down at the local gun store had the same opinion that you did.

If you don't handload already, start. The .25-06 is a true handloaders cartridge. You can buy factory loads for it to do whatever you need it to do but with they few rifles I've played with, I have found it to be a cartridge that can be very particular about what loads it likes......and you just haven't lived until you've seen what a 75 grain v-max bullet will do to varmints. Lol!

I have actually been looking into reloading myself. I just gotta get more firmiliar with it. But for now I got the Barnes rounds like driverhunter had suggested in the other post.

Pm me your email address and I will scan and send the info.

Real awfull caliber worthles give me the rifle so you won't have to suffer trying to get it to shoot. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: .

thats a great caliber. :good:

TD is right. Awful. :crazy:

Since you have a 30-06, you might wanna consider standardizing your brass to one brand for both rifles...if you reload. You can make 25-06 brass from 30-06 brass but you may want to keep to factory headstamped 25-06 brass to keep mistakes to a minimum.

I had a 25 06, great rifle, I traded it off, it was a custom rifle . I traded it only because it wasn't a Remington. I would probably buy another if it was the right make lol. ED

I traded it only because it wasn't a Remington.
Mine is a Model 700 Remington.

Beautiful, just beautiful... I always love it when you guys play such beautiful music :wub: :wub:

OP---I sent the load data today.

looking forward to a range report and Frank would love a pic of it (me too).

I've got a Winchester model 70 with custom stock in 25-06 and absolutely love it! I think you will grow quite fond of your new family member