Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sxshooter

Tataki Tuna n Grilled Garlic Rubbed Turbot

10 posts in this topic

I picked up some turbot at Whole Foods tonight. Then went over to Marukai market for some sashimi grade tuna.

The tuna got a cracked pepper and sea salt coat and then seared super hot. I put it immediately in the freezer to stop the cooking as I think I over did the sear a bit. It seemed to help stop the cooking.

DSC_5437.jpg

The tataki tuna was served with some red pickled ginger and some sliced ginger along with finely chopped green onion and a ponsu dipping sauce.

DSC_5443.jpg

The turbot got a typical bbq savory rub with some chopped/ground garlic rubbed on it. It was seared over a super hot fire for about a minute a side, then placed to the side of the fire and the lid of the keg was closed to finish to 140F internal. Some finely chopped green onion topped the turbot.

DSC_5439.jpg

DSC_5440.jpg

DSC_5447.jpg

Some white rice and soy marinated seaweed were served with it.

It was all washed down with a really nice Pinot Noir.

DSC_5449.jpg

The wife really liked this dinner, having stepped thru the door from work and it being ready to eat made her day. I thought the turbot was a bit mushy. Might have been frozen once. I really don't care for frozen meats, fish or poutry if I can help it.

That looks perfect SS, not over done at all.

Tom

Tom,

It was pretty tasty, but the wife likes a little less sear. And we all know: whatever the wife likes, I like too. So I'm told. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

i fished turbot for years it is normally on the mushy side ala flounder. all of our fish went for export , the euros love that crap aka "greenland halibut"

LING IS KING! and most frozen fish Is frozen within hours and your "fresh fish" could be up to a week old..

Well, turbot is not on my list of fish to get again. I'd sooner get some red snapper.

Tom,

It was pretty tasty, but the wife likes a little less sear. And we all know: whatever the wife likes, I like too. So I'm told. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Actually, I prefer mine raw, just a little Wasabi, and soy.

Tom

Yeah, we probably eat 2-3 times more as raw sashimi or sushi than seared. But I belong to a bbq forum and searing it gives me an opportunity to post on the bbq forum with something unusual.

No raw fish for me. Your going to get worms. Looks realy good. But the tuna needs a little more cooking. ;):P