Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KNOCKED UP

Do you seperate

9 posts in this topic

Do you seperate the different manufactures of brass when you reload?

Tom

Yes... Actually, I only stick with one brand, which is Winchester for me.

And no matter the brand, they will all get an occasional bad mouthing from someone &/or somewhere. Even Lapua has produced bad brass. It happens!

Today I ran across a few Frontiers, and a Herters.

I have never seen a Herters.

Tom

Like Frank, I stick to one brand for rifle - Remington in my case.

However I am a brass whore for pistol brass....I got everything in 45 acp...

Except those *&^%$#%^ 45 acp pieces of brass that have small pistol primer holes...oh and beriden (military) brass are excluded into the trash heap.

What's everyone else doing?

I prefer one maker of brass due to case capacities being slightly different. Does it make a huge difference, not really.

I just got into it so I keep them separate for most of my calibers.

My uncle is getting me into loading and for him it depends on the calibers. Some of the guns that he shoots seem not to mind and others are a little more picky. It also depends on the purpose. If it is for plinking - as long as it cycles it is good to go. But for hunting or target shooting he is quite specific. When I get the luxury of having 5 gallon buckets of sorted brass under my work bench (as my uncle does) I am sure I will be as picky as I feel like :D .

Pistol brass ---No

Rifle brass ---not always. I do have some cartridges that I only have one brand for as that was the only stuff I got when buying. I am starting to be alittle more picky on some of my hunting ammo lately. Actually I have gotten quite anal for the ammo I will take to Africa. I have new brass from one manufacture that I neck sized, trimmed, inside and outside chamfered,uniformed primer pockets, deburred inside flash hole and sorted by weight to be withing 1 grain. Then hand primed, which is what I do for all my rifle brass and some pistol brass.

Rifle plinking ammo ---I do not sort or treat it anyway special.

Oh I do sort the mil surplus brass from commercial brass so I can take care of the primer pockets and such.

I stick with one maker (Win). I recall mixing Rem and Win brass on .264 Win Mag and it had enough capacity difference to see a POI difference at 100 yrds. I never chrono'd the difference, but it was likely there. I could see definite signs that one had higher pressure too. I think it was the Rem with lower capacity.

Today I ran across a few Frontiers, and a Herters.

I have never seen a Herters.

Tom

Herters could be very old or very new! Herters used to be the premier sporting goods catalog from WWII to the early 70s I even still have a couple of Herters rifles! The company was greatly hurt by The GCA of 1968, and was bankrupted by the Endangered Species act.George Herter sold a lot of feathers to Fly tyers. He had a warehouse full of them. When it became Illegal to sell them George thought He should be able to sell what he had in stock, the Courts did not agree.

Just recently Ive been seeing print ads for Herter ammo in classic calibers. I think its made by Hornaday. Kind of a cool return for classic ammo, like the return of Redfield scopes!