Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sxshooter

Smoked Salmon

7 posts in this topic

We have a party to go to this afternoon. I said I'd bring some smoked salmon. So, before 9:00 this morning I was smokin. I took the belly and tail trimmings and put them on some foil in the toaster oven and fed it to my dogs. They think I'm a master chef :D

DSC_5137.jpg

I have to agree with the bellies......they are rich in fat and fat has flavor. Had an Uncle Albert on the Klamath River (40 yrs ago) that would save and smoke the fillet backbones and bellies for me. Talk about eating good. Hard to beat smoked salmon.

10-4 on the bellies. When I was staying up in Alaska we'd save them up and then make strips and brine them on the sweet side with lots of honey then hang them in the old smoker. We called in Squaw Candy which I guess isn't PC but dam it was good.

ShooterJohn likes this

Bellies are fabulous smoked! That's the best part.

Bellies are fabulous smoked!

I hope you didn't give the cheeks to the dog.

Tom

I'm a fan of belly as well. I just trimmed off a particularly thin area and the tail area that was a little discolored. As you can see, I had limited room on the grill. I didn't cut all of it off. But little trimmings like this cooked up and the dogs think I'm their maker. :rolleyes: