Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bzzrd feedr

Albacore

33 posts in this topic

If I lived close by, I'd be driving around with a sea chest full of beer on ice, looking for your house to see if I could "help" you. :D

I hear ya. I'm so sick of loining out, vac. packing, and canning Albies. I'm tired of smelling like a stinky old tuna. I want to quit, my wife says I'm sick in the head to get up at dart thirty and go out in the wild blue. Lately I've been wondering if she is right for a change????? We've had a great year for Tuna, best it's been in a long time and fairly close. We were stupid and ran yesterday in a washing machine out there. Picked up 20 or so. (lost count) but got the crap kicked out of us.

BF some one hast to do it. Hey I'll trade some rabbit legs for some albecore. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Well we had a weather window and headed out Sunday night for a 60 mile run. Left the Harbor at 10 pm and headed SW. I took TJ out the first 20 miles or so before taking a 4 hr power nap while others took their turn at watch. I had "Otto" (aka Auto-pilot) set along with the radar alarms and the AIS alarms, which help me sleep. My boat cruises at 8 knots with only a 4.25 gpm fuel burn so it's a long slow trip but the sleeping quarters are good. We got to the tuna grounds a bit early and got all the gear ready, With the first hint of daylight (aka as shoot time for ducks) we had lines in the water. We call it "Trap Set" when all lines are out. I troll a total of 11 lines. We had a great morning with 16 in the box by 10 am. By noon we had 21 when my Starboard engine quit. Told the crew we are headed in and started trolling towards the Barn 60 miles away. We continue catching fish on the way in as we are loining out tuna. Ended up with 27 fish, a few Peanuts and most were a nice grade of fish. Absolutely beautiful out there, Lake Pacific. Very interesting docking with only one motor but we made it in. Great trip, hopefully we might get one more.

I went out on my first tuna trips the past couple months (moss and hmb), 5 total. We skunked last weekend. The other trips we brought in from 20-32 Tuna. I can def say I'm hooked on Tuna fishing! Ate lots of sashimi! Nom Nom. Picked up my new canner yesterday and can't wait to can them.

Picked up my new canner yesterday and can't wait to can them.

Follow very carefully the instructions for pressure canning. Tuna takes and hour and forty minutes at eleven pounds pressure. If it drops below ten pounds pressure don't resume your time until it reaches the correct pressure again. After your jars have cooled remove the rings and lift the jars by the tops to be sure the jars have sealed. Ones that haven't sealed should be refrigerated and eaten immediately.

Yea John everybody has a little different recipe. We do 80 minutes @ 12.5#. We do cans either 1/2 pint or 1 pint. We use to do jars but the cooling time vs. cans makes it so much faster when doing several loads. The last time we put up 350 cans in one morning. When we get the cans temp down to so we can handle with towels we dry them off and place upside down newspaper. Leakers are very seldom if the sealer is set up properly but the oil from the fish makes them very obvious on the newspaper. You are right that the canning procedures need to follow to the letter. Sterilizing the cans or jars prior is loading is also critical. Home canned tuna if done right is awesome stuff.

John Correction we do 80 minutes at 15# pressure. We canned 428 cans yesterday (107 1# cans and 321 1/2# cans). 6 guys and a lot of work.