CRITTRGITTR

.219 Zipper

7 posts in this topic

Just found out my dad's long time huntin partner has an old .219 Zipper, but he wont shoot it because he only has about 8 rounds left for it. I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find any brass for the old rifle, i understand i can probably have a set of dies made for it, anyone have an old zipper or have some brass info? I've heard you can neck down 30-30 brass but that is a little out of my league at this point in my reloading career. Bryan

Hi BryanI looked at Midway that brass is not cheap 28.99 for 20 Product #: 285997 Manufacturer #: 219Z Quality Cartridge brass http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=285997Dies E Bay RCBS Item number: 260068130826 23.27 E Bay Item number: 140067343463 100 - 219 ZIPPER CASES FROM 30 - 30 9.99Dies Midway RCBS Product #: 373374Manufacturer #: 56031-219 Full Set-G $126.99Hope this helps :D

CRITTRGITTR,Did your dad's friend save his brass? P.O. Ackley says the original parent brass was the .25/35. 30-30 and 32 Special can also be used to make the brass. The Old Western Scrounger has three 20 rd boxes, made with 25-35 brass, for sale. $34.95 per box. Old Western ScroungerBy the way, what type of rifle is this 219 Zipper? :lol: Just curious.

the old Speer reloading manuals (50s-60s) have info on itWinchester I believe made the original gun for it, a lever action if I recall.looks like decent muzzle velocities with 40gr to 50gr bullets3300-3800 fpsthere was also a .219 Zipper Improved as well...

Wow, I am amazed once again with this forum. Thanks so much guys. My dad's buddy, "Mike" is gonna be thrilled. The gun is an old Model 64 Winchester lever action. I had never even heard of one until about a month ago when I was tryin to convince him to do some predator huntin with me after a duck hunt at mendota WLA. Then he started tellin me about his ol dog slayer. It seems like a really neat caliber. It can push a 60 grain bullet at 3,300 fps, or down to a 45 grainer at 3,600 fps. the gun has a tube fed magazine, but i don't remember how man pills it can hold it was a lot though. Thanks again guys i will keep you posted on how it goes. Bryan

That was a neat cartridge for it's day. I would be real careful about loading hot loads for the '64. Some lever actions are not strong enough to handle it. Another concern would be using spire point bullets in a tube magazine, although the recoil may not be enough to cause a problem.The 23/35 is the "parent" case but there are slight differences in the case dimensions. Take a good look at the case specs before trying to resize either it or the 30/30 to the .219.http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/PerPowd...20and%20193.pdf