Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lukem

Looking for First .22

34 posts in this topic

An old long barreled, tube fed, Remington bolt action would be my choice because I like my .22's to wear iron sights rather than a scope and most rifles nowadays are almost worthless without a scope. The sights are chubby and cover what you're trying to aim at and most .22's now wear carbine length barrels that have a short sight radius. I have a 10-22 but I never saw what all the hoopla was about them. I really like the long barreled rifle version though.

I have a 10-22 but I never saw what all the hoopla was about them.
Because 99.99% of the population is more worried about how they are going to follow up with their second shot than how they are going to shoot their first shot. One of the reasons (in my opinion) for the great lack of shooting skills today, as evident at any public range. :1087:And let us not forget that you can put an extra $500+ into them and make them shoot as well as a quality rifle that only cost $300-$400 to begin with :lol: .Yes, I do own one, but I can't remember the last time it was shot. Even the kids enjoy the 39A (lever action) over it. I guess even they think it is more fun to shoot and hit consistently than to mess with jams and spray lead :rofl2: .

39A - best 22 ever. Got mine for christmas when I was 11 (1976). Still shoots like a dream.

Very nice, so you got the pre-cross bolt safety one also? Golden trigger too I imagine? Bought mine roughly 7 years ago at a pawn shop for $250 in late September after shooting the one brother came home from AZ with he bought during dove opener. I picked mine for half what he paid since it would not fire the last 4-5 rounds. I saw that the magazine tube was loose, flared it out, fit it back in, and have been shooting it worry free ever since. They truly are one of the finest examples of American rimfire workmanship. And boy do they shoot straight! They also have everything you could want in a hunting rifle. Strong, solid, reliable, you can use of short, long or long rifle, compact break down design, and tube fed so that you can rest it on anything without having a magazine stick out the bottom like many magazine fed ones. I hear the Henry's are very, very smooth (afraid to try it since I know I will buy it), but there's just something about owning the longest production rifle ever :good: .

The Henrys are sweet shooting guns. I especially like the frontier and golden boy. They have a longer and heavier octagon barrel that gives it a nice feel for offhand shooting. The only gripe I have with my golden boy is that there is more drop in the stock than most guns have so I have to use a shallow cheek weld to see the sights. A nice leather lace on would fix her right up.Another good option for an iron sighted rimfire would be a Taurus pump. They're a copy of the old Winchester hammer pump. I have the short barreled version in .22 mag and its a lot of fun. As cheap as they are a guy could buy the long barreled model and get a nice set of Marbles sights for it.The Cz bolt guns have a good reputation but I've never shot one.

I'd go with a 10/22. Awesome gun for the money. If you want you can spend $100's customizing until you realize you could have bought a Kimber. Very fun .22!

Very nice, so you got the pre-cross bolt safety one also? Golden trigger too I imagine? Bought mine roughly 7 years ago at a pawn shop for $250 in late September after shooting the one brother came home from AZ with he bought during dove opener. I picked mine for half what he paid since it would not fire the last 4-5 rounds. I saw that the magazine tube was loose, flared it out, fit it back in, and have been shooting it worry free ever since. They truly are one of the finest examples of American rimfire workmanship. And boy do they shoot straight! They also have everything you could want in a hunting rifle. Strong, solid, reliable, you can use of short, long or long rifle, compact break down design, and tube fed so that you can rest it on anything without having a magazine stick out the bottom like many magazine fed ones. I hear the Henry's are very, very smooth (afraid to try it since I know I will buy it), but there's just something about owning the longest production rifle ever :lol: .
Yep and yep - good old half cock safety! Forgot they switched over to the crossbolt safeties on newer ones.

Very, very nice. I still love to run it in my brother's face that "mine" does not have the cross-bolt safety :) . But his is much prettier than mine :( . Just out of curiosity, what are you using for sights? The factory open sights, a tang sight, or dare I say, a scope on a lever gun? I went with the Skinner peeps and never looked back. Liked them so much that they now also sit on my 1894c (.357) and my Ruger .44 Carbine too :lol: . Skinner SightsReality is, that for a first .22, it would be extremely hard to beat an old, used, bolt action that was made with real steel and wood back in the day. They will allow you to shoot any .22 rimfire (except mags) and are indestructible. Plus, they are much cheaper.As I also mentioned earlier, there are a few things to consider though if it is going to be a "hunting" gun. One major one being the feeding system. Some magazine fed rifles stick out and make it less than ideal for resting on things in the field. Another thing to consider is whether you are going to use open sights or a scope. If a scope, you need to make sure they still make a good scope base for the rifle you intend to buy. This is an afterthought that gets overlooked many times. Just a few things for anyone to consider.

The Cz bolt guns have a good reputation but I've never shot one.
I went by the local gun shop today to buy some ammo and as luck would have it, they happened to have a barely used Cz 452 military trainer on the rack! Not a single scratch or rust spot. Love at first feel. Man I hate these 10 day waits!!!