Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lukem

Looking for First .22

34 posts in this topic

Hey there. I'm pretty new to hunting and want some experienced opinions on a first .22. I found a good spot with a decent number of rabbits, and i don't think my third hand pellet gun is going to do the trick. I'm looking for a bolt action or break barrel, single shot ok, for under two hundred dollars. the area is pretty hilly, no shots over 30m, so I dont need anything insanely accurate. any advice?

i am aware i am in a condor no lead zone. are you saying there is no non-lead .22 ammo?

I am no expert and just got into the air rifle as well. But I too just got my first .22 break barrel rifle last week and love it. That was a deal on Amazon for Banjamin Trail NP XL 1100 .22 rifle selling for $229 free shipping and no tax. MSRP was $359 from Crosman. I have check some review and almost 4.5 star on every site I have checked. You can find some review on you tube as well. I have learned that Nitro Piston least longer than springs piston and for a little bit over 200. I am sure others will give you more advise but just thought to pass out the info for good deal.

oops.. Sorry I didn't check it was on rifle board. I thought you were asking for an air rifle .22 . My bad.

no problem. i've thought about a .22 air rifle too, but decided to go the gunpowder direction.

For an under $200 rifle its hard to beat the marlins. or look for the bolt actions on the used rack at your local gun shops and pawn shops. In my lifetime Ive only seen two bolt 22s that were worn out. So they are pretty durable. A Savage 64 or Mossberg 802 also comes in at under $200.

thanks danger. i don't have too many gun shops in town, but ill look around the surrounding areas

In the late 70s there were at least two gun shops in SLO. Might check in Arroyo Grande or Paso Robles, both are in great hog hunting areas and should support a couple of gunshops. DRA quick web search shows at least 7 within a couple of miles of you! Might make a great sat afternoon visiting them! DRhttp://www.armsdealer.net/businesses/category/gun-shops/california/san-luis-obispo

Marlins are good - you can also check for Savage and Stevens (sub of Savage). My preference has always been a good lever 22, but you would wind up over $200. And it is hard to wear out a 22LR rifle. Pretty safe buying used ones.

I have marlins savages and rugers. A 10/22 is hard to beat and if you ever decided to get rid of it it would be easy to do. Mags and other accessories are readily available. But as far as a bolt I'd get a savage and then you can get the one that can shoot the shorts too, which is handy to have.

Just make sure to take your shorts off before you shoot them! ;-)

Verify if you're in Condor Fly Zone and check DFG regs.Hate to REIGN on your Domain.
Judging by the original post, it won't matter since you don't need lead free to hunt rabbit :signtripledogdare2wf: .
I found a good spot with a decent number of rabbits, and i don't think my third hand pellet gun is going to do the trick.

From the DFG Web site:Modifications to Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Mammals (Section 475, Title 14, CCR) were also adopted to prohibit the use of lead projectiles in the same areas when hunting coyotes, ground squirrels, and other non-game wildlife. These regulations become effective July 1, 2008.

Lots of folks talk up the marlin 795 as one of the best out of the box. I don't have one but my friend does and it's definitely a good stock shooter. I personally had to do a fair amount of work to my 10/22 to make it as nice. My Brother has a stevens bolt that is pretty sweet too.

thanks danger. i don't have too many gun shops in town, but ill look around the surrounding areas
Harbor Gun Shop 505 Morro Bay Blvd Morro Bay Ca,93442 805-772-1000 Right next door to the Tattoo Parlor.Crusty old guy runs it.

thanks. ill be sure to shop around

Have you considered a 17 HMR?I love mine for rabbits and ground squirels.It is a real tack driver, with a little more punch than a 22 cal.Savage has a very nice bolt action.Tom

Definately consider the henry Lever action. At &289 from Gunbroker it's a great buy. an comes with a life tiem warrenty from Henry. Will shoot anything. I put peep sights on them and thy are great shooters and fast. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=282484727http://www.midwayusa.com/product/886927/marbles-improved-tang-peep-sight-standard-upright-blue

Leverguns and peeps go together like whiskey and ice :) . The guns themselves are fast, rugged, and reliable, and the peeps work just fine for the guns' ranges of use and very solid too. And the fun factor, :sport037fn4: . A man could do a heck of a lot worse.

you know, ive never thought about a .17, i might have to consider that.

Have you considered a 17 HMR?I love mine for rabbits and ground squirels.It is a real tack driver, with a little more punch than a 22 cal.Savage has a very nice bolt action.Tom

Forget the .17 unless you aren't worried about the cost of ammo and you can kill sqirrels and rabbits just as dead with a .22.

I have my uncle's old Marlin Glenfield M25 bolt gun in S/L/LR from the 60's and it still shoots fine. I put a cheap Bushnell 3-9X32 on it and can shoot a spoon spinner at 60 yards easily enough. You can find them on gunbroker for under $80 sometimes with a beat up stock and a fine bore. A little sanding, a run in the dishwasher and some oil and it'll be a nice little hunting rifle.

LukemSave up for a little while longer and get a Ruger 10/22. They are very accurate right out of the box and being a semi auto, having the quick folow up shot is great for rabbits. Being semi auto you also aren't having to cycle the bolt or break the barrel resulting in movement and possibly spooking the game. Another great thing about a 10/22 is that there is a ton of after market stuff for them so when you get a bit more cash you can trick it out.Mc