Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
javabum

1873 .44-.40

8 posts in this topic

i have a .44-40 and was wondering if anyone out there reloads for that caliber.If so,would you be interested in loading me some in copper.Reason i ask is because i would love to hunt with the rifle,for which it was intended to do besides defending ones self back in the day.Please let me know if you could and what the cost would be.All i need is 30 rounds...dont plan to hunt the rifle to death just enoughto sight it in an take a few critters for the freezer.

Not legal to sell reloads without the proper lic.

Without having the gun to work up a load that works in the gun the process would be futile at best. It's not just a matter of getting a copper bullet and pouring powder in a cartridge case. Maybe someone that reloads and lives near you would help you load some if you purchased the dies.

i have a .44-40 and was wondering if anyone out there reloads for that caliber.If so,would you be interested in loading me some in copper.Reason i ask is because i would love to hunt with the rifle,for which it was intended to do besides defending ones self back in the day.Please let me know if you could and what the cost would be.All i need is 30 rounds...dont plan to hunt the rifle to death just enoughto sight it in an take a few critters for the freezer.
The most likely place you will find someone who can "help you" reload some lead free ammo will be the Cowboy Action Shooters clubs. Their are several there that reload 44 40. there are two clubs near Fresno. But a simple LEE handLoader might be the way to go. For low volume loading they make good ammo. DR

........It's not just a matter of getting a copper bullet and pouring powder in a cartridge case.......
About a week ago a buddy and I were talking about this exact same cartridge and how it could be loaded lead free. There's no data out there for it but I started thinking and the answer just could be to load it the way it was intended to be loaded..........with a case full of black powder. I'm thinking that if the barrel is slugged to ensure proper diameter bullets are used, a guy could use a lead free bullet that is designed for the .44 special or magnum.

Thats probably one of the easiest starting points! and it addresses the over pressure issues. DR

About a week ago a buddy and I were talking about this exact same cartridge and how it could be loaded lead free. There's no data out there for it but I started thinking and the answer just could be to load it the way it was intended to be loaded..........with a case full of black powder. I'm thinking that if the barrel is slugged to ensure proper diameter bullets are used, a guy could use a lead free bullet that is designed for the .44 special or magnum.
If at any point you do decide to load some as you say the way they were intended but with copper i would be interested in getting togetherto see if we could work out something that would put some of them in my safe.I would be very appreciative of the help.thanks,Kevin (javabum)

I don't have a .44-40 rifle or any loading dies for that caliber yet. There is a buzz over at the Henry rifle forums about the possibility of them putting out an 1860 Henry reproduction chambered in .44-40 later this year, and it has actually been confirmed to me and others by Anthony Imperato himself. I'm pretty excited about it!