Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BullsEye

Spearfishing in the South Bay

61 posts in this topic

Just picked up a rubber for my 3 prong, some gloves and a stringer. Now I need my fins and I should be all set. However I think I will be surfing tomorrow its supposed to be a 7 foot swell. :lol: If that guy was in Hawaii that's one Okole Puka you never want.

OUCH nice shot

post-3-1328979902.jpgRule #1 of spearfishing; Make sure your dive partner is not over zealous and knows the difference between your a$$ and a fish.

I am so glad I wasn't the Dive Master on that trip! I DM'd alot of spearfishing trips in the past, but cuts by fish teeth/gills or knives were the worst I had to deal with...

I did ok I guess. first spot I dove I had about 3 to 4 feet of visibility. I couldn't see the tip of my gun so after running into rocks and only seeing one fish I decided to go back to shore. I moved to another place and the visibility was 6 to 12 feet behind the breakers on the sand but I had brought my pole spear for this area, I was assuming similar visibility as before. I managed a butter lip perch and missed a few others. I am going again this Sunday and I'm planning on diving a little farther out for some sheephead, maybe I will get lucky.

Good luck, them sheephead (neapolitan fish according to the nephew) are delicious :angry2: If you ever fish fish for them instead of spearing, shrimp are like a magnet for them.

Went for a dive this Sunday and had decent vis about 6-15 feet. Saw a bunch of smelt, 3 inch calicos and some small perch. I took a larger perch that came to check me out. On my exit a pod of dolphins came running through. There was also a dive class going on must have been maybe 12 people just floating in the kelp for about 30 minutes. I also saw a soccer ball sized spider crab. I managed to get a headache after 2 hours of diving. It only happened when I dove to or past 15 feet. I guess my sinus's are clogged up or maybe I had a bad dive? Not sure what it was attributed to but it made me decide to swim back in. Looking forward to the next dive.

OUCH nice shot
Welcome to the club Mikina. You don"t have to hide, we woun't bite.Tom

Do you use a wet suit?
Yeah I use my 4.3 but after about 2 hours I started getting cold and that was with 59 degree water.

Being new to spearfishing in California I am really jazzed to be in the water. Today work ended early and I decided my sinuses needed some cleaning in the ocean. I dropped in to the water at around 4:30pm and got out at about 10 to 7pm. My wetsuit only works about 2 hours for me before I get cold so I will need to upgrade soon. Anyway I managed a 20 inch Cabezon as my first fish of the day then a 16 inch sheephead, my first ever and then I took a brown rock fish, another sheephead and a rubberlip perch. I just fried up the cabezon in panko, yum, and the sheephead are in some lemon cooking for ceviche tomorrow. I'm pretty stoked as today was a successful day with great vis.DSCN2553.jpgCevicheDSCN2557.jpg

The Real South Bay is Redondo bch, Hermosa bch, Manhattan bch, Torrance
Dave, What is it like down there now? I was born in Hawthorne, a little house at 138th and Shoupe. I left there when I was 10, that was in 1957. I know, that's old)Tom

Somewhere between Newport and Laguna I managed to get some dive time in my new Omer suit. I saw a group of some large opaleye and went to see if I could poke one but they all bolted to the right. I decided I will come back later for them and went left through a wall of kelp. The surge started to pull the kelp off to the left and I saw the yellow tail of the seabass. I followed it up to center mass and pulled the trigger. It wrapped up in the kelp pretty quick and I went in and grabbed my first ever WSB. It measured out at 30 inches. Not a beast but I just ate sashimi and baked collar and I also have some ceviche waiting for me in the fridge. I am definitely happy. I kept diving after that and came across a 15 pound sheephead that had half of its head missing from a previous speardiver, I imagine due to the nature of the cut. If I had one more second that sheephead would have been on my stringer but he learned the hard way about sticking around divers so he was gone. All in all it was a nice dive. Lots of small fish and decent visibility.DSCN2563.jpg

Thanks. Yeah they are very tasty. The meat is firm and great sashimi. My first WSB ever and with a spear, I am really happy. I'm hoping to get more eventually as fresh meat disapears quickly at my house. :g-hog-poppin-up-ani:

Dave,Good job on the WSB and the Sheepshead. Good call on going down to the OC too. I scuba dove the southbay last week and visability sucked at both spots we hit. One was 85ft, the other was at 30ft. Visibility was only 2-5 ft at best. Mc

Good job on the seabass, that area holds lots of good game fish, I worked there for 5 years. If you still have the head you can cut into the skull and get the otoliths or ear stones. They're kind of the prize from those fish. Easiest way is to tear the gills out and cut into the skull with a pair of dykes. WSB are also considered the hardest to hunt of our gamefish, your skills must be progressing quickly!

Hey guys thanks for the kind words. I'm looking forward to many more dives and hopefully seabass too. I took the ear stones out for my trophy but my girl wasn't impressed she was expecting Tahitian pearls to come out of its head. :DAlex

Dave,Did you try to explain to your gal that it much more physically demanding to swim around and spear a WSB than it is to pick an oyster off a rock? 

Dave,Did you try to explain to your gal that it much more physically demanding to swim around and spear a WSB than it is to pick an oyster off a rock? 
She knows but I guess girls like shiny things. lol maybe I will get lucky next month and be graced with some abalone pearls. Its Alex by the way not Dave. :signgreatreport3kg: