Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BullsEye

Spearfishing in the South Bay

61 posts in this topic

I was just out surfing this morning and the water was crystal clear. I haven't been in the water here for a while but I actually had the place to myself and even though the waves where small I was having fun. I then started thinking about doing some spearfishing and was wondering how many people here do the same? I have just about all my gear except for a set of fins and gloves but was hoping for some pointers or if someone was interested to tag along or maybe even show me the ropes of cali free diving. I have gone before but in Hawaii so its a different experience. Anyway anyone here free dive much?

Main difference is in Cal vers HI spearfishing, no Tiger sharks here but a lot more Great Whites.Good spearfishing in S. Cal, plus lobster season is coming up real quick.I am sure someone CPC will point you in the right direction. ---->If all else fails local dive/fishing shops, people are not as freindly as in HI, it is just like giving out your secret honey hole for hunting.

Lobster season is almost over if it's not over already, I think it's over in march. I used to spear fish at table tops reef but it's been a really long time since I've done any diving. There used to be a good spot off of tamarack beack also.

Lobster season is almost over if it's not over already, I think it's over in march.
Thanks Jawbreaker for the correction.I'm not sure what I was thinking when I said it was just about to open for lobster season. Maybe I was thinking about HI Lobster season instead!

Thanks for the info guys. I may have to just jump in and start exploring. Seems to be some fishy areas around here I just need check things out.

Is there any other South Bay!?!?
This is the only South Bay that matters to me... And there is great halibut spearfishing to be had there, as well as yellowtail and white seabass...

I must be really confused I thought south bay was the Malibu to Palos Verdes area. Learn something new everyday.

hehehe - well we got three of them here in this state : The northern one is populated by vegan hippy flower children, the southern one is where the sun shines on shady people, the one in the middle is populated by people that look like DirtyDave! :smiley-outta-here:

Freedive for Abs up north by Fort Bragg/Albion. Anything else I tank(scuba) dive for.

Just stay out of all those new marine sanctuaries!!!I've gone with my brother in law a few times, mostly scuba. It is a neat way to fish. You get to actually pick out what you are going to take. Make sure you have a fishing license and follow the regulations.

There's some good spear fishing here in the middle "South Bay". Calico Bass, Sand Bass, Sheeps head, Angel shark, Leopard shark, Ling Cod, Corvina, White Sea Bass, and Halibut. Your best bet is to dive around any place there is structure. Jetties, Breakwalls, man made reefs, wrecks. PV is also a great spot but it can be a hump getting down the trails unless you have a boat and then like it was said before, you have to know where the Marine sactuary's are. BullsEye PM me and I'll point you in the right direction. Mc

Im wiling to join you free diving. i dont have any experience but i can swim. i have a 17' boston whaler so we can get to pv. lobster season is open, when i go out hooping the divers most always limit out. what gear does one need

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am hoping to visit one of the dive shops this weekend in Hermosa Beach and get a rubber for my 3 prong. I might look into a gun but I'm going to start with the pole spear first to see how I like it out here.

One thing - you can spearfish, and you can lobster dive - but you cant do both at the same time. DFG gets their panties bent out of shape when spearguns and lobster are in the same place at the same time, wanting to accuse you of shooting them because plenty of poachers have done it before...

I used to spend a lot of time in the water spearfishing...i love it. Since I've relocated more inland, I don't get out as often as I like, but during the summer I'm out a few times a month. I love swimming the drop offs for halibut.Nothing to it really. Get yourself a mask, snorkel, fins, speargun and a wetsuit and you're ready. Make sure you pay attention to the new closed areas along the coast and take your fishing license. When conditions are good, its a great way to spend the day.

post-3-1328979902.jpgRule #1 of spearfishing; Make sure your dive partner is not over zealous and knows the difference between your a$$ and a fish.

Yes John, I think this took place in Hawaii though so I think it actually is a Haole-Butt :rolleyes: